Problem with POST method in a test form

Jack

Hi I am trying to test a form as to its correct action. I am facing two
problems.
1) When I click the submit button, the registrationconfirmation.asp is not
activated. The registrationconfirmation.asp has only one line of code
'Thanks'.

Also, I have put a validation check for the first name. If I do not put any
name in the name field, and click the Submit button, the form does not warn
anything as it should. Looking for any help.
Thanks.

CODE:
<%@ Language=VBScript %>
<!-- #include file="adovbs.inc" -->

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0">
<TITLE>Sailors Web Site</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<%
myDSN="DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; "
myDSN=myDSN & "DBQ=C:\____SAILORS\Sailors.mdb"

set CN=server.createobject("ADODB.Connection")
set RS=server.createobject("ADODB.Recordset")
CN.Open myDSN

RS.ActiveConnection=CN
SQL = "qAllClubs"

RS.Open SQL
%>
<DIV ALIGN=CENTER>
<BIG> <BIG><FONT COLOR=navy>Sailors Case Study</FONT></BIG></BIG>
</DIV>
<BR><BR>
<FORM ACTION="registrationconfirmation.asp" method=POST NAME = frmRegister>
<TABLE>
<TR>
<TD HEIGHT=50 COLSPAN=2><FONT COLOR=navy>Registration Screen</FONT></TD>
</TR>

<TR>
<TD>First Name</TD>
<TD><INPUT TYPE=text NAME=txtFirstName SIZE=15></TD>
<TD><WIDTH=100></TD>
<TD>&nbsp;</TD>
<TD>Last Name</TD>
<TD><INPUT TYPE=text NAME=txtLastName SIZE=15></TD>
</TR>

<TR>
<TD>State</TD>
<TD><INPUT TYPE=text NAME=txtState SIZE=2></TD>
<TD> <WIDTH=50></TD>
<TD> </TD>
<TD>Date of Birth</TD>
<TD><INPUT TYPE=text NAME=txtDateofBirth SIZE=8></TD>
</TR>

<TR>
<TD>Referee</TD>
<TD><INPUT TYPE=checkbox NAME=chkReferee VALUE=1></TD>
</TR>

<TR>
<TD>Professional Class</TD>
<TD COLSPAN=4>
<INPUT TYPE=radio NAME=optClass VALUE=1 checked>Professional
<INPUT TYPE=radio NAME=optClass VALUE=2>Ranked Amateur
<INPUT TYPE=radio NAME=optClass VALUE=3>Other
</TD>
</TR>

<TR>
<TD>Club Name</TD>
<TD COLSPAN=3>

<SELECT NAME="lstClubs" SIZE = "1">
<%
Do while Not RS.EOF
Response.Write "<OPTION VALUE='" &RS("clubname") & "'>"
Response.Write RS("clubname") & "</OPTION>"
RS.MoveNext
Loop
RS.Close
Set RS = Nothing
%>
</SELECT></TD>
</TR>

<TR>
<TD>&nbsp;</TD>
</TR>

<TR>
<TD><INPUT TYPE=button NAME=btnSubmit VALUE=Submit></TD>
</TR>

</TABLE>
</FORM>

<%
Sub btnSubmit_OnClick()
'Verify all fields have been entered
If Len(frmRegister.txtFirstName.value) = 0 Then
Alert "You must enter a first name"
frmRegister.txtFirstName.focus
Exit Sub
End If
End Sub
%>

</BODY>
</HTML>

Bob Lehmann

You don't have a submit button and you are trying to handle a client-side
event with a server-side handler.

Bob Lehmann

Jack

I thought the submit button is already in the code as:
<TD><INPUT TYPE=button NAME=btnSubmit VALUE=Submit></TD>
Can we not have client side validation in a asp page? Thanks

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Jack said:
Can we not have client side validation in a asp page? Thanks
Of course you can. The client-side code is in the HTML that's sent to the
client by the ASP page. Which means that discussions of client-side code are
off-topic in an ASP group, since ALL ASP activity takes place on te server.
The .scripting newsgroups handle client-side code issues.

Bob Barrows

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Jack said:
I thought the submit button is already in the code as:
<TD><INPUT TYPE=button NAME=btnSubmit VALUE=Submit></TD>
No, that's a standard button. You need to use a submit button:

<INPUT TYPE=submit NAME=btnSubmit VALUE=Submit>

Bob Barrows

Jack

Thanks Bob, I appreciate your feedback.

--