    Has anyone else seen this?

    Thanks

    Dave Riedel

    David P. Riedel, Mar 12, 2008

  2. David P. Riedel wrote:

    > I tried building Python 2.5.2 using gcc 4.3.0. The build completes with no problems but when I run 'make test', I get a
    > segfault part way through the test run.
    >
    > here is the last part of the output from make test
    >
    > test_softspace
    > test_sort
    > test_sqlite
    > test_sqlite skipped -- no sqlite available
    > test_startfile
    > test_startfile skipped -- cannot import name startfile
    > test_str
    > make: *** [test] Segmentation fault

    You don't identify the platform or O/S, though I'd guess some Linux
    distro on i386 or x86-64...

    If you have gdb available, a backtrace might give a clue.

    However, as this is a new major release of gcc I'm automatically going to
    assume an optimisation issue. To test this I'd suggest doctoring the
    makefile generated by configure to reduce the optimisation level - I'd
    suggest trying -O instead of -O3. If that works, try -O2 or -Os.

    If -O2 or -Os works, I'd be taking the matter up with the gcc team.

    Andrew I MacIntyre "These thoughts are mine alone..."
    E-mail: (pref) | Snail: PO Box 370
    (alt) | Belconnen ACT 2616
    Web: http://www.andymac.org/ | Australia

    Andrew MacIntyre, Mar 13, 2008

  3. Andrew MacIntyre wrote:
    > David P. Riedel wrote:
    >
    >> I tried building Python 2.5.2 using gcc 4.3.0. The build completes
    >> with no problems but when I run 'make test', I get a segfault part
    >> way through the test run.
    >>
    >> here is the last part of the output from make test
    >>
    >> test_softspace
    >> test_sort
    >> test_sqlite
    >> test_sqlite skipped -- no sqlite available
    >> test_startfile
    >> test_startfile skipped -- cannot import name startfile
    >> test_str
    >> make: *** [test] Segmentation fault

    > You don't identify the platform or O/S, though I'd guess some Linux
    > distro on i386 or x86-64...
    >
    > If you have gdb available, a backtrace might give a clue.
    >
    > However, as this is a new major release of gcc I'm automatically going to
    > assume an optimisation issue. To test this I'd suggest doctoring the
    > makefile generated by configure to reduce the optimisation level - I'd
    > suggest trying -O instead of -O3. If that works, try -O2 or -Os.
    >
    > If -O2 or -Os works, I'd be taking the matter up with the gcc team.

    You are correct -- Mandriva Linux 2007. I will try varying the optimization level and see what happens.

    Thanks

    David P. Riedel, Mar 13, 2008