problem with read() write()

Zeynel

Hello,

I've been studying the official tutorial, so far it's been fun, but
today I ran into a problem with the write(). So, I open the file pw
and write "hello" and read:

f = open("pw", "r+")
f.write("hello")
f.read()

But read() returns a bunch of what looks like meta code:

"ont': 1, 'center_insert_even\xc4\x00K\x02\xe8\xe1[\x02z\x8e
\xa5\x02\x0b
\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x08\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00'QUEUE'\np1\n
(S'exec' ....

What am I doing wrong? Thank you.

Alf P. Steinbach

* Zeynel:
Hello,

I've been studying the official tutorial, so far it's been fun, but
today I ran into a problem with the write(). So, I open the file pw
and write "hello" and read:

f = open("pw", "r+")
f.write("hello")
f.read()

But read() returns a bunch of what looks like meta code:

"ont': 1, 'center_insert_even\xc4\x00K\x02\xe8\xe1[\x02z\x8e
\xa5\x02\x0b
\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x08\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00'QUEUE'\np1\n
(S'exec' ....

What am I doing wrong? Thank you.

After the 'write' the current position in the file is after the "hello", so
reading will read further content from there.

The following works (disclaimer: I'm utter newbie in Python, and didn't consult
the documentation, and it's the first time I've seen the Python 'open'):

f = open("pw", "r+")
f.write( "hello" )
f.seek( 0 ) # Go back to start of file
f.read()
f.close()

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

Zeynel

* Zeynel:

[...]

Thanks, but it didn't work for me. I still get the meta file. Although
I see that "hello" is there.

[...]

Just a thought: try "w+" instead of "r+".

Because if you do

print( open.__doc__ )

as I recall it said something about "w" truncating the file?

[...]

No :) I still got the same thing.

[...]

Hm. Now I had to look in the docs because I thought I'd given bad advice.

Doc of 'open' says:

"The mode 'w+' opens and truncates the file to 0 bytes, while 'r+' opens the
file without truncation."

So with 'w+' the only way to get garbage is if 'read' reads beyond the end of
file, or 'open' doesn't conform to the documentation.

Testing with Python 3.1.1 under Windows XP Pro:

Traceback (most recent call last):
</example>

The "w+" works here. Even if I made a typing mistake and apparently left the
file open in the middle there.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

Dave Angel

Zeynel said:
* Zeynel:

* Zeynel:

Hello,
I've been studying the official tutorial, so far it's been fun, but
today I ran into a problem with the write(). So, I open the file pw
and write "hello" and read:
f =pen("pw", "r+")
[...]

When you ran the program, the file already existed. So you're mixing
the old content and the new. If you don't want that, then don't use r+.

When testing, you should start with the system in a known state. Try
initializing (with a text editor for example) that file before trying
the program.

And if it still gives you problems, show us the data in the file before
running your code, your new code, and the results you get. One thing
that'd be useful is to actually assign the results of the read()
function to a variable and print it.

DaveA

Zeynel

Thanks! This works. But I need to close the file before read and open
it again with "r", otherwise I get the garbage again. Can you give me
the link where you got this in documentation:

Only place i could find it was in this bug report: http://bugs.python.org/issue5061
[...]

<example>
 >>> f = open( "zilly", "w+" )
 >>> f.write( "garbagegarbagegarbagegarbagegarbagegarbagegarbagegarbagegarbage" )
63
 >>> f.close()
 >>> f = open( "zilly", "r" )
 >>> f.read()
'garbagegarbagegarbagegarbagegarbagegarbagegarbagegarbagegarbage'
 >>> f.close()
 >>> f.open( "zilly", "r+" )
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
AttributeError: '_io.TextIOWrapper' object has no attribute 'open'
 >>> open( "zilly", "r+" )
<_io.TextIOWrapper name='zilly' encoding='cp1252'>
5
0
 >>> f.read()
'hellogegarbagegarbagegarbagegarbagegarbagegarbagegarbagegarbage'
5
0
 >>> f.read()
'hello'
 >>> f.close()

</example>

The "w+" works here. Even if I made a typing mistake and apparently left the
file open in the middle there.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

Terry Reedy

Zeynel said:
Thanks! This works. But I need to close the file before read and open
it again with "r", otherwise I get the garbage again. Can you give me
the link where you got this in documentation:

"The mode 'w+' opens and truncates the file to 0 bytes, while 'r+'
opens the

Only place i could find it was in this bug report: http://bugs.python.org/issue5061

LibRef / builtin functions /open
The entry is a full page.

Get familiar with this section and the Built-in Types section.

Terry Jan Reedy

Gertjan Klein

Alf said:
So with 'w+' the only way to get garbage is if 'read' reads beyond the end of
file, or 'open' doesn't conform to the documentation.

It does read beyond the end of file. This is perhaps the way the
underlying C library works, but it looks like an "unexpected feature"
(read: bug) to me.

I reproduced (with Python 2.5.2 on WinXP) the code the OP wrote after
creating an empty (0-byte) test file; after the write() the read()
returns random garbage. I can't imagine why anyone would want that
behaviour. The file grew to be 4099 bytes after f.close(). I wrote
'hello' to it, so the length of garbage added was 4094 bytes, which I
find a strange number also.

I would have expected the read to return nothing. Can anyone explain or
even defend this behaviour?

Gertjan.

Alf P. Steinbach

* Gertjan Klein:
It does read beyond the end of file. This is perhaps the way the
underlying C library works, but it looks like an "unexpected feature"
(read: bug) to me.

I reproduced (with Python 2.5.2 on WinXP) the code the OP wrote after
creating an empty (0-byte) test file; after the write() the read()
returns random garbage. I can't imagine why anyone would want that
behaviour. The file grew to be 4099 bytes after f.close(). I wrote
'hello' to it, so the length of garbage added was 4094 bytes, which I
find a strange number also.

Could you post (copy and paste) the code, and description of results?

I would have expected the read to return nothing. Can anyone explain or
even defend this behaviour?

I'm just a Python newbie, but in C and C++ such things are usually down to
"undefined behavior", that is, the program doing something that is implicitly or
explicitly defined as undefined behavior by the language standard.

With UB the effect may then be something or nothing or anything or just what you
expected; appearance of the infamous nasal demons is one possibility...

Quoting n869, which is the January 18th 1999 draft of the C99 standard:

§7.19.5.3/6
When a file is opened with update mode (’+’ as the second or third
character in the above list of mode argument values), both input and
output may be performed on the associated stream. However, output shall
not be directly followed by input without an intervening call to the
fflush function or to a file positioning function (fseek, fsetpos, or
rewind), and input shall not be directly followed by output without an
intervening call to a file positioning function, unless the input
operation encounters end-of-file. Opening( or creating) a text file with
update mode may instead open (or create) a binary stream in some
implementations.

"Shall not" means UB. This applies to C "FILE*" handling.

AFAICS nothing except efficiency prevents the Python wrapper, if "FILE*" is what
it uses, from automatically inserting an appropriate fflush or fseek.

And for a language used by so many newbies (this is positive!) I agree that it
should ideally get rid of that UB (assuming that's what the problem is), or, if
it doesn't already, mention that in the Python documentation.

Cheers,

- Alf

Gertjan Klein

Alf said:
* Gertjan Klein:

Could you post (copy and paste) the code, and description of results?

The code is exactly the OP's code, with an f.close() after f.read(). The
results are described above.
"Shall not" means UB. This applies to C "FILE*" handling.

Yes. But Python is not C. I would have expected that Python shields me
from such bizarre results. The fact that, apparently, the Python file
object is a thin wrapper over a C library function is an explanation of
the behaviour, but not a justification.
And for a language used by so many newbies (this is positive!) I agree that it
should ideally get rid of that UB (assuming that's what the problem is), or, if
it doesn't already, mention that in the Python documentation.

I'm not sure I can defend this statement, but I think Python should not
have undefined behaviour at all.

Gertjan.

Matt Nordhoff

Gertjan said:
It does read beyond the end of file. This is perhaps the way the
underlying C library works, but it looks like an "unexpected feature"
(read: bug) to me.

I reproduced (with Python 2.5.2 on WinXP) the code the OP wrote after
creating an empty (0-byte) test file; after the write() the read()
returns random garbage. I can't imagine why anyone would want that
behaviour. The file grew to be 4099 bytes after f.close(). I wrote
'hello' to it, so the length of garbage added was 4094 bytes, which I
find a strange number also.

I would have expected the read to return nothing. Can anyone explain or
even defend this behaviour?

Gertjan.

I wonder, does it still happen if you open the file in binary mode?
(Stick a "b" in the file mode.) It could be some Windows text mode
craziness.

Steven D'Aprano

Could you post (copy and paste) the code, and description of results?

Using Python 2.6 under Linux (Fedora 7):
Traceback (most recent call last):
'hello world\n'