Problem with reading a text file

Suchi

Hi all:

I want to read a textfile from an ASP program.
My program is like this:

workFile=http://localhost/Readme.txt)
Set textFile = FSObj.OpenTextFile(workFile)
lines = split(textFile.ReadAll, VBCrLf)
textFile.Close
Set textFile = nothing
Set fso = nothing

for index = 0 to UBound(lines)
Response.write lines(index)
next

But the program is crashing the IIS.

Think this is related to permission problem. I gave full permission to all
user accounts
in the system. still not working

Can any one help me?

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

But the program is crashing the IIS.

What the heck does "crashing" mean? Do you get an error? If so, what is
it? Else, can you describe the actual symptom, rather than the vague and
ambiguous word "crashing"?

Dominique

workFile=http://localhost/Readme.txt)
?? whether or not that's a typo, just point to the full path of the file
like so:
workfile = "c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Readme.txt"
and put it in quotes
THEN worry about the rest of your routine...

you should read up on a bit of error trapping.

add this line to the top of your the abovementioned routine

On Error Resume Next

and below it:

if Err.Number <> 0 then
Response.write Err.Description
Response.end
end if

at least you'll be able to give us a little more than "the program is
crashing the IIS"

cheers and good luck