Problem with registering VB DLLs. Please help urgently....

Kelly G.

I need to register a Vb DLL under restricted acess privilages please
provide me a solution.
Here is the complete issue:
I building a MSI using Vs.net ,One of the Dll's is Vb Component ( A shim
component basically) ,
Our application has to install both with Administrative privialges and
restricted user privilages .

The actual problem is that of registering this dll ,Since it tries to
register under Hkey_local_machine ,But under restricted user privilages we
do not have access to Hkey_local_machine so we have to register under
Hkey_Current_user.
I am trying to export the registry of the DLL and add it to my setup so
that it can be exported to the target machine but i am still not been able
to get it to work

Please do provide me with more information on this. This is urgent :-(

Thanks once again
Kelly G.

Mark Alexander Bertenshaw

Kelly said:
[...]

Well, there is not much you can do, because this is being governed by the
way the final machines are configured. You must install under administrative
priviledges, or that the user priviledges must be extended so that you are
able to install. Think of it this way: if you *could* do this so easily,
then NT's security features wouldn't be worth the paper they were designed
on.

Incidentally, what do you mean by "export[ing] the registry of the DLL" ?
If you mean copying the register information, then be careful that you get
every last key - there will typically be at least three entries. Even if
you put them in a regfile, you still would come back to the problem that it
is the registry, not the means of registering which is blocking your
attempt.

Funnily enough, I have just answered this question today in the same group
(and since you have multi-posted and cross-posted to every known group in
existance, I ought to tell you it was microsoft.public.vb.com). Your best
bet is to use OleView to load in your DLL, and you will be able to see all
the CLSIDs and IIDs and LIBIDs which need to be added to the registry.
Otherwise, you could look for RegMon, start it up, register your DLL on your
machines, and the keys added should be displayed.