problem with ruby1.9.2 and gems on Debian

Jen

Hi,
I installed rubygems 1.3.7, then decided to upgrade from ruby1.8 to
ruby1.9.2.

I forgot to uninstall rubygems before installing ruby1.9.2, as I didn't
realise gems came with it.

Now I want to install some gems, but when I run 'gem install rails' I
get the following error.

ERROR: Loading command: install (LoadError)
no such file to load -- zlib
ERROR: While executing gem ... (NameError)
uninitialized constant Gem::Commands::InstallCommand

Can I repare 'gems? If not should I remove ruby1.9.2, rubygems1.3.7 and
start again?

It may be worth mentioning that I built these packages on Debian Lenny
from source, and they are not in the database used by 'apt' etc.

I have tried removing all traces of Ruby and rubygems from the system,
then rebuilding and installing ruby1.9.2

Thanks,
Jen.

Rajinder Yadav

[...]

possibly you just need to do the following to add the missing zlib
header files:

sudo aptitude install zlib1g-dev

you might also want to add these header files(if you have not already)

sudo aptitude install libc6-dev libssl-dev
sudo aptitude install libreadline6-dev zlib1g-dev libsqlite3-dev

once you have a working ruby install rails and sqlite3

sudo gem install rails
sudo gem install sqlite3-ruby

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | DevMentor.org | Do Good! ~ Share Freely

GNU/Linux: 2.6.35-22-generic
Kubuntu x86_64 10.10 | KDE 4.5.1
Ruby 1.9.2p0 | Rails 3.0.1

Jen

Hi,

Managed to gget gems working. I had a bit of a problem with aptitude not
removing everything I expected it to, so after a bit of playing I got it
working with ruby-1.9.2.

Now I've got some other issues with my rails app, but I'll post to a
more specific rails forum.

Thanks,
Jen.