Problem with search.cpan.org grep tool

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by James E Keenan, Jan 30, 2006.

  1. I am encountering a problem using search.cpan.org's grep tool tonight to
    locate strings which I know to be found within particular distributions.

    Example 1: I go to http://search.cpan.org/tools/CPAN-1.83 and grep for
    'CPAN'. Result:

    ### BEGIN ERROR MESSAGE ###
    ERROR

    While trying to retrieve the URL:
    http://search.cpan.org:9290/grep?release=CPAN-1.83&string=CPAN&i=1&n=1

    The following error was encountered:

    * Zero Sized Reply

    Squid did not receive any data for this request.
    ### END ERROR MESSAGE ###

    The string 'CPAN' obviously must be found somewhere within that
    distribution.

    Example 2: I go to
    http://search.cpan.org/grep?release=List-Compare-0.32&string=List&i=1&n=1
    and grep for 'list'. I know that string exists in that module, because

    http://search.cpan.org:9290/grep?release=List-Compare-0.32&string=List&i=1&n=1

    The following error was encountered:

    * Zero Sized Reply

    Squid did not receive any data for this request.
    ### END ERROR MESSAGE ###

    Googling for "Zero Sized Reply" suggests that this is a server-side
    problem with Squid. Are other people experiencing this? Thanks.

    Jim Keenan
    James E Keenan, Jan 30, 2006

  2. James E Keenan wrote:

    > I am encountering a problem using search.cpan.org's grep tool tonight to
    > locate strings which I know to be found within particular distributions.
    >

    > The following error was encountered:
    >
    > * Zero Sized Reply
    >
    > Squid did not receive any data for this request.
    > ### END ERROR MESSAGE ###

    Here's an excerpt from Squid's FAQ
    (http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ_long.html):

    11.51 Why do I sometimes get ``Zero Sized Reply''?

    This happens when Squid makes a TCP connection to an origin server, but
    for some reason, the connection is closed before Squid reads any data.
    Depending on various factors, Squid may be able to retry the request
    again. If you see the ``Zero Sized Reply'' error message, it means that
    Squid was unable to retry, or that all retry attempts also failed.

    What causes a connection to close prematurely? It could be a number of
    things, including:
    1 An overloaded origin server.
    2 TCP implementation/interoperability bugs. See the System-Dependent
    Weirdnesses section for details.
    3 Race conditions with HTTP persistent connections.
    4 Buggy or misconfigured NAT boxes, firewalls, and load-balancers.
    5 Denial of service attacks.
    6 Utilizing TCP blackholing on FreeBSD.

    You may be able to use tcpdump to track down and observe the problem.

    Jim Keenan
    James E Keenan, Jan 30, 2006