Problem with simplified chinese

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by David A. Caballero J., Jul 7, 2004.

  1. I have a 3 layer system, SQL Server 2000 database, COM+ dll's (VC++ 6) and
    ASP frontend, this system has been in production for quite some time using
    english, spanish and portuguese versions. Now I've been asked to test the
    system to function with Simplified chinese. The development of the system
    was outsourced and we don't have communication with the company (some sort
    of legal problems i think).

    Now, I've been reviewing the code and recompiled one of the core DLL's for
    unicode support with no problems, I've tested the database (SQL Server 2000)
    inserting Simplified Chinese characters and the DB supports it fine (the DB
    fields are NVARCHAR), in the ASP frontend, the retrievel process (calling
    the COM+ DLL functions) works fine displaying this data I inserted directly
    in the DB.

    However, when I try inserting this data through the ASP frontend I'm getting
    errors regarding the length of the strings, I'm testing the data insertion
    in a field limited to 100 characters, the data I'm testing are 23 Simplified
    Chinese symbols or characters and when I insert them directly in the DB
    there is no problem, the DB correctly interprets the string as 23 characters
    long, but when I test the length of the same string on the ASP page it says
    its 183 characters long, so I'm guessing the ASP code is doing some kind of
    implicit conversion, I already tried setting the asp session codepage to
    65001 for unicode support with the same outcome. Any ideas or tips?

    Sorry for the long post, I would reaaly appreciate any kind of help.
    David
    David A. Caballero J., Jul 7, 2004

  2. David A. Caballero J. wrote:

    > Sorry for the long post, I would reaaly appreciate any kind of help.
    > David

    I have a PDF we devised for clients who want to run our ASP package in
    Chinese (unicode) - I think it deals with some of the issues you've come
    across. Let me know if I can send it to your hotmail address (I'm
    assuming it's genuine) and I'll send it over.

    The reason you are seeing more characters is because the chars are
    displayed in web page HTML source as numerical codes made up of ASCII chars.

    --

    (remove Tony Blair from office to contact me)
    Captain Flack, Jul 8, 2004