Problem with special characters in Request Params

Mikael Engdahl

Hi,

I have a situation on an ASP.NET page on which I do a simple
Response.Write(Request.Params["x"]).

The problem is that when the parameters include special characters like
ä or é they are removed. For example, the string 'aéx' becomes 'ax'.

It is the same for both GET or POST and the problem is not in
Response.Write becuse the same thing happens if I use the string in a
database call.

What is wrong?

/Mikael

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Have you tried setting it to use unicode?
Here's more info on the subject:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...en-us/cpguide/html/cpconencodingbasetypes.asp

Also, you might adjust the Globalization section of your web.config.
Try changing it to something more like this:

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->
<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
<globalization
fileEncoding="iso-8859-1"
requestEncoding="iso-8859-1"
responseEncoding="iso-8859-1"
/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Matt Berther

Hello Mikael,
The problem is that when the parameters include special characters
like ä or é they are removed. For example, the string 'aéx' becomes
'ax'.

Are you doing a Server.UrlEncode to the parameter values prior to appending them to the querystring?