    footer) of the four cells height and let the last cell (main) be what ever
    height is left.

    Would be very gratefull for any help.
    earl, Nov 11, 2003

  2. earl wrote:

    > I've been trying to make a simple template for a webpage that Im putting
    > together.

    This is unrelated to your question, but don't abuse tables! They're for
    tabular data, not layouts.
    Leif K-Brooks, Nov 11, 2003

  3. earl

    rf Guest

    "earl" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I've been trying to make a simple template for a webpage that Im putting
    > together. For some reason I've testing this in Opera (V 7.0) where it

    looks
    > fine. However when I tryed it in IE 6.0 the table is all stretched out. If
    > you could please take a look at this page :
    > http://larsandre.mine.nu/temp/menu.html
    > I've set logo to 85px, menu to 10px and footer to 10px and main is set to
    > auto using css style sheet. The strange thing is though, when viewing it

    in
    > IE the logo cell is all stretched out and looks very big while the main

    cell
    > is kind of small. It should be the other way around.
    >
    > Anyway, what Im trying to accomplish is for the table to stretch out
    > (vertically) from top to bottom but I'd like to specify three(logo, menu,
    > footer) of the four cells height and let the last cell (main) be what ever
    > height is left.
    >
    > Would be very gratefull for any help.

    IE doesn't understand height: auto for a table cell. You should not be using
    tables for this anyway, it's not tabular data.

    What are you going to put in that 10 pixel high cell? Not text I hope, I
    have my text about 16 pixels high.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Nov 11, 2003
  4. earl

    earl Guest

    > > I've been trying to make a simple template for a webpage that Im putting
    > > together.

    > This is unrelated to your question, but don't abuse tables! They're for
    > tabular data, not layouts.

    Out of curiosity what method would you recommend for designing a layout ?
    earl, Nov 11, 2003
  5. earl

    earl Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in message

    > "earl" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > I've been trying to make a simple template for a webpage that Im putting
    > > together. For some reason I've testing this in Opera (V 7.0) where it

    > looks
    > > fine. However when I tryed it in IE 6.0 the table is all stretched out.

    If
    > > you could please take a look at this page :
    > > http://larsandre.mine.nu/temp/menu.html
    > > I've set logo to 85px, menu to 10px and footer to 10px and main is set

    > > auto using css style sheet. The strange thing is though, when viewing it

    > in
    > > IE the logo cell is all stretched out and looks very big while the main

    > cell
    > > is kind of small. It should be the other way around.
    > >
    > > Anyway, what Im trying to accomplish is for the table to stretch out
    > > (vertically) from top to bottom but I'd like to specify three(logo,

    menu,
    > > footer) of the four cells height and let the last cell (main) be what

    ever
    > > height is left.
    > >
    > > Would be very gratefull for any help.

    > IE doesn't understand height: auto for a table cell. You should not be

    using
    > tables for this anyway, it's not tabular data.
    >
    > What are you going to put in that 10 pixel high cell? Not text I hope, I
    > have my text about 16 pixels high.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    Thank for your prompt reply.

    Even if IE doesnt understand auto shouldnt it understand when I do height :
    85px; for the logo row and not stretch it out ?

    What would you advice using instead of table ? Im open for suggestion.

    Cheers :)
    earl, Nov 11, 2003
  6. earl

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:34:51 +0100, "earl" <> wrote:

    : I've been trying to make a simple template for a webpage that Im putting
    : together. For some reason I've testing this in Opera (V 7.0) where it looks
    : fine. However when I tryed it in IE 6.0 the table is all stretched out.

    #maintable
    {
    border : 1px solid #091c5a;
    width: 640px;

    Looks 640px to me....

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Nov 11, 2003
  7. earl

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Nov 11, 2003
  8. Tried your page in MozillaFirebird and Konquerer, it appears just fine.
    <TONGUE IN CHEEK>Why do you expect MS to get it right ?</TONGUE IN CHEEK>

    he he
    Derek

    --
    cio
    Derek
    Derek Clarkson, Nov 12, 2003
  9. earl

    earl Guest

    "Sid Ismail" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:34:51 +0100, "earl" <> wrote:
    >
    > : I've been trying to make a simple template for a webpage that Im putting
    > : together. For some reason I've testing this in Opera (V 7.0) where it

    looks
    > : fine. However when I tryed it in IE 6.0 the table is all stretched out.
    >

    > #maintable
    > {
    > border : 1px solid #091c5a;
    > width: 640px;
    >

    > Looks 640px to me....
    >
    > Sid

    The problem is that the table is stretched out vertically.
    earl, Nov 12, 2003