problem with System.Management.dll used by a web service

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Richard Northedge, Jul 22, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I am wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I am having with a
    web service installed on a client's server. I have installed the same
    web service successfully on a development server running Windows 2000
    Server SP2 and .NET Framework 1.1. The client's server has Windows
    2000 Server SP4 and version 1.1 of the .NET framework. When I try and
    invoke a web method in my web service that uses the System.Management
    dll to get local disk space information, the following error copied
    below appears. Can anyone help? Version 1.0.5000 of this dll is in
    the GAC, I have checked.

    Thanks in advance,

    Richard

    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: ?
    File name: "System.Management"
    at IntranetService.IntranetService.GetDiskSpace()

    === Pre-bind state information ===
    LOG: DisplayName = System.Management, Version=1.0.5000.0,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
    (Fully-specified)
    LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/IntranetService
    LOG: Initial PrivatePath = bin
    Calling assembly : IntranetService, Version=1.0.1626.24842,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.
    ===

    LOG: Publisher policy file is not found.
    LOG: No redirect found in host configuration file
    (C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet.config).
    LOG: Machine configuration file does not exist at
    C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\config\machine.config.
    LOG: Post-policy reference: System.Management, Version=1.0.5000.0,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
    Files/intranetservice/ad78db52/5e94a9e7/System.Management.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
    Files/intranetservice/ad78db52/5e94a9e7/System.Management/System.Management.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/IntranetService/bin/System.Management.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/IntranetService/bin/System.Management/System.Management.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
    Files/intranetservice/ad78db52/5e94a9e7/System.Management.EXE.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
    Files/intranetservice/ad78db52/5e94a9e7/System.Management/System.Management.EXE.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/IntranetService/bin/System.Management.EXE.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/IntranetService/bin/System.Management/System.Management.EXE.

    Richard Northedge, Jul 22, 2004

  2. if the log is accurate, then it indicates there is no machine.config file on
    the server.

    You said you have .NET V1.1 installed there, but maybe the installation is
    corrupted or brooken.

    Is there, in fact, a machine.config?

    Can you run other .NET apps on that server, even non-ASP.NET, like a simple
    hello world in .NET ?

    Can you run another simple ASPX or ASMX on the server ?

    Dino Chiesa [Microsoft], Jul 23, 2004

  3. Hello Dino,

    Thanks for your reply.

    > You said you have .NET V1.1 installed there, but maybe the installation is
    > corrupted or brooken.

    I uninstalled and reinstalled the .NET framework. I didn't receive
    any errors or warnings when uninstalling or reinstalling, but I get
    the same issue with the web service.

    > Is there, in fact, a machine.config?

    Yes, at C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG

    It's big (222K) so I won't post the contents - I assume they're just
    the defaults, since I reinstalled the framework and haven't altered
    the file myself.

    > Can you run other .NET apps on that server, even non-ASP.NET, like a simple
    > hello world in .NET ?

    Yes. As a test, I took the code in my web service that uses
    System.Management and packaged it into a simple desktop EXE. It runs
    fine and gives the expected result.

    > Can you run another simple ASPX or ASMX on the server ?

    I haven't tried this yet, I will post again when I get a result, but I
    thought I'd answer your other questions in case that helped.

    Thanks again,

    Richard

    Richard Northedge, Jul 26, 2004
  4. > > Can you run another simple ASPX or ASMX on the server ?

    > I haven't tried this yet, I will post again when I get a result, but I
    > thought I'd answer your other questions in case that helped.

    OK, I've tried this now. First I tried a regular ASP, which worked,
    so I cut and pasted my GetDiskSpace method into the regular ASP and it
    worked there too.

    So then I made a web service and uncommented the "hello world"
    example; that was fine. Then I cut and pasted my GetDiskSpace method
    into the test web service, and that worked as well.

    This suggests there's something different in the configuration of my
    real (non-working) service and the test (working) service, but I've
    searched and can't find what.

    I'll keep adding more code to the test service until it starts
    resembling the real one more and more, and see at what point it
    breaks.

    Richard

    Richard Northedge, Jul 27, 2004
  5. you're getting there . ..