problem with System.Management.dll used by a web service

Richard Northedge

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I am having with a
web service installed on a client's server. I have installed the same
web service successfully on a development server running Windows 2000
Server SP2 and .NET Framework 1.1. The client's server has Windows
2000 Server SP4 and version 1.1 of the .NET framework. When I try and
invoke a web method in my web service that uses the System.Management
dll to get local disk space information, the following error copied
below appears. Can anyone help? Version 1.0.5000 of this dll is in
the GAC, I have checked.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: ?
File name: "System.Management"
at IntranetService.IntranetService.GetDiskSpace()

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = System.Management, Version=1.0.5000.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/IntranetService
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = bin
Calling assembly : IntranetService, Version=1.0.1626.24842,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.
===

LOG: Publisher policy file is not found.
LOG: No redirect found in host configuration file
(C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet.config).
LOG: Machine configuration file does not exist at
C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\config\machine.config.
LOG: Post-policy reference: System.Management, Version=1.0.5000.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
Files/intranetservice/ad78db52/5e94a9e7/System.Management.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
Files/intranetservice/ad78db52/5e94a9e7/System.Management/System.Management.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/IntranetService/bin/System.Management.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/IntranetService/bin/System.Management/System.Management.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
Files/intranetservice/ad78db52/5e94a9e7/System.Management.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
Files/intranetservice/ad78db52/5e94a9e7/System.Management/System.Management.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/IntranetService/bin/System.Management.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/IntranetService/bin/System.Management/System.Management.EXE.

Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]

if the log is accurate, then it indicates there is no machine.config file on
the server.

You said you have .NET V1.1 installed there, but maybe the installation is
corrupted or brooken.

Is there, in fact, a machine.config?

Can you run other .NET apps on that server, even non-ASP.NET, like a simple
hello world in .NET ?

Can you run another simple ASPX or ASMX on the server ?

Richard Northedge said:
[...]

Hello Dino,

Thanks for your reply.
You said you have .NET V1.1 installed there, but maybe the installation is
corrupted or brooken.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the .NET framework. I didn't receive
any errors or warnings when uninstalling or reinstalling, but I get
the same issue with the web service.
Is there, in fact, a machine.config?

Yes, at C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG

It's big (222K) so I won't post the contents - I assume they're just
the defaults, since I reinstalled the framework and haven't altered
the file myself.
Can you run other .NET apps on that server, even non-ASP.NET, like a simple
hello world in .NET ?

Yes. As a test, I took the code in my web service that uses
System.Management and packaged it into a simple desktop EXE. It runs
fine and gives the expected result.
Can you run another simple ASPX or ASMX on the server ?

I haven't tried this yet, I will post again when I get a result, but I
thought I'd answer your other questions in case that helped.

Thanks again,

Richard

Richard Northedge

Can you run another simple ASPX or ASMX on the server ?
I haven't tried this yet, I will post again when I get a result, but I
thought I'd answer your other questions in case that helped.

OK, I've tried this now. First I tried a regular ASP, which worked,
so I cut and pasted my GetDiskSpace method into the regular ASP and it
worked there too.

So then I made a web service and uncommented the "hello world"
example; that was fine. Then I cut and pasted my GetDiskSpace method
into the test web service, and that worked as well.

This suggests there's something different in the configuration of my
real (non-working) service and the test (working) service, but I've
searched and can't find what.

I'll keep adding more code to the test service until it starts
resembling the real one more and more, and see at what point it
breaks.

Richard

Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]

you're getting there . ..