Problem with "table" inside "p"

sevillad

Hello,

I've put a couple of tables inside a "p" element, and I get an
unexpected space between the line before the table and the table
itself. I added a black border around the "p" and I'm surprised to see
(in FF2) that the table isn't included! If I switch to IE6 it works
well. Why would this be? The test page is in

www.davidsevilla.com/test1.html

Thanks a lot,

David

Michael Fesser

..oO(sevillad)
I've put a couple of tables inside a "p" element

Invalid markup. A paragraph can't contain anything but inline elements.
and I get an
unexpected space between the line before the table and the table
itself. I added a black border around the "p" and I'm surprised to see
(in FF2) that the table isn't included!

Correct. The browser will implicitly close the paragraph (whose end tag
is optional), before starting the table. You'll also get a validator
warning about an "end tag for element "P" which is not open".

Micha

Martin Jay

I've put a couple of tables inside a "p" element, and I get an
unexpected space between the line before the table and the table
itself. I added a black border around the "p" and I'm surprised to see
(in FF2) that the table isn't included! If I switch to IE6 it works
well. Why would this be? The test page is in

www.davidsevilla.com/test1.html

Tables should not be put inside paragraphs, so your markup is invalid.

Presumably, Firefox is automatically closing the <p> block element
when the new table element begins. This is expected behaviour, and as
I understand it, this is correct.

On the other hand IE6 makes a wrong guess, which just happens to
coincide with what you want.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 05 Sep 2007 14:09:47 GMT
sevillad scribed:
I've put a couple of tables inside a "p" element, and I get an
unexpected space between the line before the table and the table
itself. I added a black border around the "p" and I'm surprised to see
(in FF2) that the table isn't included! If I switch to IE6 it works
well. Why would this be? The test page is in

www.davidsevilla.com/test1.html

Are you the guy with the talking chipmunks?

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 05 Sep 2007
14:09:47 GMT sevillad scribed:

Are you the guy with the talking chipmunks?

I can never remember elements are allowed in (or required to be in)
other elements. While I know HTML Help gets knocked about in here, one
thing I like about their entries for elements is their concise Contents
and Contained In lists.

http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/block/pre.html

Harlan Messinger

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 05 Sep 2007 14:09:47 GMT
sevillad scribed:

Are you the guy with the talking chipmunks?
No doubt he's here to promote their new film.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 06 Sep 2007 06:35:26 GMT
Blinky the Shark scribed:
I can never remember elements are allowed in (or required to be in)
other elements. While I know HTML Help gets knocked about in here, one
thing I like about their entries for elements is their concise Contents
and Contained In lists.

http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/block/pre.html

I can't remember 'em all, either, and that seems like a pretty good link
for checkin'.

Btw, dorayme sends her love...

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 06 Sep 2007 21:17:01 GMT
Blinky the Shark scribed:
Damn. It's sure fulla good looking women.

Logical enough. Cute, little furry things always attract females.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 06 Sep 2007 13:47:58 GMT
sevillad scribed:
Hi,

No. I wish I was.

Well, success is no piece of cake. One time I tried training some gerbils
and that was a real bummer.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 06 Sep 2007
06:35:26 GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

I can't remember 'em all, either, and that seems like a pretty good
link for checkin'.

I'm disappointed in a change they just made. The search box on their
home page

http://www.htmlhelp.com

used to give you a simple, one-line per entry, list of hits. Now
they've converted to a Google site search, and you don't get that
no-nonsense results page any more.

Note the lack of any ref to Google-based search on this archive of that
page at the WayBack Machine, from April:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070406173204/http://htmlhelp.com/

Compare to today's search function:

http://www.htmlhelp.com/index.html

On the flip side, this frustration led me to find the two
straightforward list pages (which I'd not seen before because I always
just used the simple search):

http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/olist.html

For the other, there's a link near the top of that one for the
alpha-sort list.

I'd suggest either of those as your bookmark into the site.

Also, look at this page again (my original link to this site):

http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/block/pre.html

See how "contents" says "inline elements except", followed by the
exceptions list? Before the recent reworking, "content" simply listed
what was allowed, rather than showing exceptions to the list that
appears on a linked page. That's a ninor niggle, I'll grant; but I
won't withdraw it. :)

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 06 Sep 2007 21:17:01 GMT
Blinky the Shark scribed:

Logical enough. Cute, little furry things always attract females.

It may not be coincidental that cute girls with little furry things used
to attract males.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 07 Sep 2007 07:04:07
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:
I'm disappointed in a change they just made. The search box on their
home page

http://www.htmlhelp.com

used to give you a simple, one-line per entry, list of hits. Now
they've converted to a Google site search, and you don't get that
no-nonsense results page any more.

Note the lack of any ref to Google-based search on this archive of that
page at the WayBack Machine, from April:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070406173204/http://htmlhelp.com/

Compare to today's search function:

http://www.htmlhelp.com/index.html

I see 2 radio buttons as an option, though. Not the same?
On the flip side, this frustration led me to find the two
straightforward list pages (which I'd not seen before because I always
just used the simple search):

http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/olist.html

For the other, there's a link near the top of that one for the
alpha-sort list.

I'd suggest either of those as your bookmark into the site.

Also, look at this page again (my original link to this site):

http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/block/pre.html

See how "contents" says "inline elements except", followed by the
exceptions list? Before the recent reworking, "content" simply listed
what was allowed, rather than showing exceptions to the list that
appears on a linked page. That's a ninor niggle, I'll grant; but I
won't withdraw it. :)

Yeah, I'd rather have all the elements listed, myself. IT help sites
should be as detailed and obvious as possible, -in other words the
antithesis of the html 4.01 specification mess.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 07 Sep 2007 07:04:07
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

I see 2 radio buttons as an option, though. Not the same?

They're both Google. One is Google-this-site. That is what I deem
inferior to their *old* search software.
Yeah, I'd rather have all the elements listed, myself. IT help sites
should be as detailed and obvious as possible, -in other words the
antithesis of the html 4.01 specification mess.

Certainly it's the final word, but it's not where I prefer to *start*.