    www.davidsevilla.com/test1.html

    Thanks a lot,

    David

    sevillad, Sep 5, 2007

  2. ..oO(sevillad)

    >I've put a couple of tables inside a "p" element

    Invalid markup. A paragraph can't contain anything but inline elements.

    >and I get an
    >unexpected space between the line before the table and the table
    >itself. I added a black border around the "p" and I'm surprised to see
    >(in FF2) that the table isn't included!

    Correct. The browser will implicitly close the paragraph (whose end tag
    is optional), before starting the table. You'll also get a validator
    warning about an "end tag for element "P" which is not open".

    Micha

    Michael Fesser, Sep 5, 2007

  3. sevillad

    Martin Jay Guest

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 14:09:47 -0000, sevillad <>
    wrote:
    >I've put a couple of tables inside a "p" element, and I get an
    >unexpected space between the line before the table and the table
    >itself. I added a black border around the "p" and I'm surprised to see
    >(in FF2) that the table isn't included! If I switch to IE6 it works
    >well. Why would this be? The test page is in
    >
    >www.davidsevilla.com/test1.html

    Tables should not be put inside paragraphs, so your markup is invalid.

    Presumably, Firefox is automatically closing the <p> block element
    when the new table element begins. This is expected behaviour, and as
    I understand it, this is correct.

    On the other hand IE6 makes a wrong guess, which just happens to
    coincide with what you want.
    --
    Martin Jay

    Martin Jay, Sep 6, 2007
  4. sevillad

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 05 Sep 2007 14:09:47 GMT
    sevillad scribed:

    > I've put a couple of tables inside a "p" element, and I get an
    > unexpected space between the line before the table and the table
    > itself. I added a black border around the "p" and I'm surprised to see
    > (in FF2) that the table isn't included! If I switch to IE6 it works
    > well. Why would this be? The test page is in
    >
    > www.davidsevilla.com/test1.html

    Are you the guy with the talking chipmunks?

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Sep 6, 2007
  5. Neredbojias wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 05 Sep 2007
    > 14:09:47 GMT sevillad scribed:
    >
    >> I've put a couple of tables inside a "p" element, and I get an
    >> unexpected space between the line before the table and the table
    >> itself. I added a black border around the "p" and I'm surprised to
    >> see (in FF2) that the table isn't included! If I switch to IE6 it
    >> works well. Why would this be? The test page is in
    >>
    >> www.davidsevilla.com/test1.html

    > Are you the guy with the talking chipmunks?

    I can never remember elements are allowed in (or required to be in)
    other elements. While I know HTML Help gets knocked about in here, one
    thing I like about their entries for elements is their concise Contents
    and Contained In lists.

    http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/block/pre.html

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 6, 2007
  6. Neredbojias wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 05 Sep 2007 14:09:47 GMT
    > sevillad scribed:
    >
    >> I've put a couple of tables inside a "p" element, and I get an
    >> unexpected space between the line before the table and the table
    >> itself. I added a black border around the "p" and I'm surprised to see
    >> (in FF2) that the table isn't included! If I switch to IE6 it works
    >> well. Why would this be? The test page is in
    >>
    >> www.davidsevilla.com/test1.html

    > Are you the guy with the talking chipmunks?

    No doubt he's here to promote their new film.

    Harlan Messinger, Sep 6, 2007
  7. sevillad

    sevillad Guest

    Hi,

    > >www.davidsevilla.com/test1.html

    > Are you the guy with the talking chipmunks?

    No. I wish I was.

    > --
    > Neredbojias
    > Half lies are worth twice as much as whole lies.

    David

    sevillad, Sep 6, 2007
  8. Harlan Messinger wrote:
    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 05 Sep 2007 14:09:47 GMT
    >> sevillad scribed:
    >>
    >>> I've put a couple of tables inside a "p" element, and I get an
    >>> unexpected space between the line before the table and the table
    >>> itself. I added a black border around the "p" and I'm surprised to see
    >>> (in FF2) that the table isn't included! If I switch to IE6 it works
    >>> well. Why would this be? The test page is in
    >>>
    >>> www.davidsevilla.com/test1.html

    >> Are you the guy with the talking chipmunks?
    >>

    > No doubt he's here to promote their new film.

    "When Good Chipmunks Go Bad" - TOO HOT FOR TV!

    Operators are standing around.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 6, 2007
  9. sevillad

    John Hosking Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Harlan Messinger wrote:
    >> Neredbojias wrote:

    >>> Are you the guy with the talking chipmunks?
    >>>

    >> No doubt he's here to promote their new film.

    > "When Good Chipmunks Go Bad" - TOO HOT FOR TV!
    >
    > Operators are standing around.

    Sadly, it's much, much worse than that:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0952640/

    --
    John
    Pondering the value of the UIP: http://improve-usenet.org/

    John Hosking, Sep 6, 2007
  10. John Hosking wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Harlan Messinger wrote:

    >>> No doubt he's here to promote their new film.

    >> "When Good Chipmunks Go Bad" - TOO HOT FOR TV!
    >>
    >> Operators are standing around.

    > Sadly, it's much, much worse than that:
    > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0952640/

    Damn. It's sure fulla good looking women.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 6, 2007
  11. sevillad

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 06 Sep 2007 06:35:26 GMT
    Blinky the Shark scribed:

    >>> I've put a couple of tables inside a "p" element, and I get an
    >>> unexpected space between the line before the table and the table
    >>> itself. I added a black border around the "p" and I'm surprised to
    >>> see (in FF2) that the table isn't included! If I switch to IE6 it
    >>> works well. Why would this be? The test page is in
    >>>
    >>> www.davidsevilla.com/test1.html

    >> Are you the guy with the talking chipmunks?

    > I can never remember elements are allowed in (or required to be in)
    > other elements. While I know HTML Help gets knocked about in here, one
    > thing I like about their entries for elements is their concise Contents
    > and Contained In lists.
    >
    > http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/block/pre.html

    I can't remember 'em all, either, and that seems like a pretty good link
    for checkin'.

    Btw, dorayme sends her love...

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Sep 7, 2007
  12. sevillad

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 06 Sep 2007 21:17:01 GMT
    Blinky the Shark scribed:

    > Damn. It's sure fulla good looking women.

    Logical enough. Cute, little furry things always attract females.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Sep 7, 2007
  13. sevillad

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 06 Sep 2007 13:47:58 GMT
    sevillad scribed:

    > Hi,
    >
    >> >www.davidsevilla.com/test1.html

    >> Are you the guy with the talking chipmunks?

    > No. I wish I was.

    Well, success is no piece of cake. One time I tried training some gerbils
    and that was a real bummer.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Sep 7, 2007
  14. Neredbojias wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 06 Sep 2007
    > 06:35:26 GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

    >>> Are you the guy with the talking chipmunks?

    >> I can never remember elements are allowed in (or required to be in)
    >> other elements. While I know HTML Help gets knocked about in here,
    >> one thing I like about their entries for elements is their concise
    >> Contents and Contained In lists.
    >>
    >> http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/block/pre.html

    > I can't remember 'em all, either, and that seems like a pretty good
    > link for checkin'.

    I'm disappointed in a change they just made. The search box on their
    home page

    http://www.htmlhelp.com

    used to give you a simple, one-line per entry, list of hits. Now
    they've converted to a Google site search, and you don't get that
    no-nonsense results page any more.

    Note the lack of any ref to Google-based search on this archive of that
    page at the WayBack Machine, from April:

    http://web.archive.org/web/20070406173204/http://htmlhelp.com/

    Compare to today's search function:

    http://www.htmlhelp.com/index.html

    On the flip side, this frustration led me to find the two
    straightforward list pages (which I'd not seen before because I always
    just used the simple search):

    http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/olist.html

    For the other, there's a link near the top of that one for the
    alpha-sort list.

    I'd suggest either of those as your bookmark into the site.

    Also, look at this page again (my original link to this site):

    http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/block/pre.html

    See how "contents" says "inline elements except", followed by the
    exceptions list? Before the recent reworking, "content" simply listed
    what was allowed, rather than showing exceptions to the list that
    appears on a linked page. That's a ninor niggle, I'll grant; but I
    won't withdraw it. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 7, 2007
  15. sevillad

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <Xns99A3F0BB75682nanopandaneredbojias@198.186.190.161>,
    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > Btw, dorayme sends her love...

    Bullshit. Tell him to get stuffed.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 7, 2007
  16. Neredbojias wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 06 Sep 2007 21:17:01 GMT
    > Blinky the Shark scribed:
    >
    >> Damn. It's sure fulla good looking women.

    > Logical enough. Cute, little furry things always attract females.

    It may not be coincidental that cute girls with little furry things used
    to attract males.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 7, 2007
  17. sevillad

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 06 Sep 2007 21:17:01 GMT
    >> Blinky the Shark scribed:
    >>
    >>> Damn. It's sure fulla good looking women.

    >> Logical enough. Cute, little furry things always attract females.

    > It may not be coincidental that cute girls with little furry things used
    > to attract males.

    "... used to ..." ???

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Sep 8, 2007
  18. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Neredbojias wrote:
    >>> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 06 Sep 2007 21:17:01 GMT
    >>> Blinky the Shark scribed:

    >>> Logical enough. Cute, little furry things always attract females.

    >> It may not be coincidental that cute girls with little furry things used
    >> to attract males.
    >>

    > "... used to ..." ???

    I was making allowance for the contemporary favor of shaved-offness.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 8, 2007
  19. sevillad

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 07 Sep 2007 07:04:07
    GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

    >> I can't remember 'em all, either, and that seems like a pretty good
    >> link for checkin'.

    > I'm disappointed in a change they just made. The search box on their
    > home page
    >
    > http://www.htmlhelp.com
    >
    > used to give you a simple, one-line per entry, list of hits. Now
    > they've converted to a Google site search, and you don't get that
    > no-nonsense results page any more.
    >
    > Note the lack of any ref to Google-based search on this archive of that
    > page at the WayBack Machine, from April:
    >
    > http://web.archive.org/web/20070406173204/http://htmlhelp.com/
    >
    > Compare to today's search function:
    >
    > http://www.htmlhelp.com/index.html

    I see 2 radio buttons as an option, though. Not the same?

    > On the flip side, this frustration led me to find the two
    > straightforward list pages (which I'd not seen before because I always
    > just used the simple search):
    >
    > http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/olist.html
    >
    > For the other, there's a link near the top of that one for the
    > alpha-sort list.
    >
    > I'd suggest either of those as your bookmark into the site.
    >
    > Also, look at this page again (my original link to this site):
    >
    > http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/block/pre.html
    >
    > See how "contents" says "inline elements except", followed by the
    > exceptions list? Before the recent reworking, "content" simply listed
    > what was allowed, rather than showing exceptions to the list that
    > appears on a linked page. That's a ninor niggle, I'll grant; but I
    > won't withdraw it. :)

    Yeah, I'd rather have all the elements listed, myself. IT help sites
    should be as detailed and obvious as possible, -in other words the
    antithesis of the html 4.01 specification mess.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Sep 8, 2007
  20. Neredbojias wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 07 Sep 2007 07:04:07
    > GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:
    >
    >>> I can't remember 'em all, either, and that seems like a pretty good
    >>> link for checkin'.

    >> I'm disappointed in a change they just made. The search box on their
    >> home page
    >>
    >> http://www.htmlhelp.com
    >>
    >> used to give you a simple, one-line per entry, list of hits. Now
    >> they've converted to a Google site search, and you don't get that
    >> no-nonsense results page any more.
    >>
    >> Note the lack of any ref to Google-based search on this archive of that
    >> page at the WayBack Machine, from April:
    >>
    >> http://web.archive.org/web/20070406173204/http://htmlhelp.com/
    >>
    >> Compare to today's search function:
    >>
    >> http://www.htmlhelp.com/index.html

    > I see 2 radio buttons as an option, though. Not the same?

    They're both Google. One is Google-this-site. That is what I deem
    inferior to their *old* search software.

    >> On the flip side, this frustration led me to find the two
    >> straightforward list pages (which I'd not seen before because I always
    >> just used the simple search):
    >>
    >> http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/olist.html
    >>
    >> For the other, there's a link near the top of that one for the
    >> alpha-sort list.
    >>
    >> I'd suggest either of those as your bookmark into the site.
    >>
    >> Also, look at this page again (my original link to this site):
    >>
    >> http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/block/pre.html
    >>
    >> See how "contents" says "inline elements except", followed by the
    >> exceptions list? Before the recent reworking, "content" simply listed
    >> what was allowed, rather than showing exceptions to the list that
    >> appears on a linked page. That's a ninor niggle, I'll grant; but I
    >> won't withdraw it. :)

    > Yeah, I'd rather have all the elements listed, myself. IT help sites
    > should be as detailed and obvious as possible, -in other words the
    > antithesis of the html 4.01 specification mess.

    Certainly it's the final word, but it's not where I prefer to *start*.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 8, 2007