Problem with "table" inside "p"

Blinky the Shark

John said:
What, no "Shawshank Redemption", "The Green Mile", "Stand by Me",
"Misery", or "The Shining"? Really not?

That is correct. Really not.
I know it's easy to avoid books by a certain author, but some of these
movies were huge, and they're always popping up on TV.

So was "Titanic". Never cared about that, either. Or "Jaws",
ironically. Or "Rocky". I'm not very hype-driven.

This week, my Netflix watches were "Little Dieter Needs To Fly" and "The
Searchers".

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
"The Aeneid" is my favorite ~grand classic~, and, of
course, I've read "The Iliad" and "The Odyssey". A lot depends on the
translation, though. Some Kirk Douglas movie from the '50s whose name I
forgot but which is really "The Odyssey" tale is pretty good for cinema.
Haven't seen "Troy" yet, but I purchased it recently.

Virgil's Aeneid was a main text in the subject of Latin which,
amazingly, I did for over 13 years a long time ago. I like seeing
the name mentioned. Mention it again any time you like.

That Troy film, the one with that Brad Pitt fellow (I can barely
stand him in anything) looks like a pile of concocted shit. You
bought it? Don't you have video hire places in America?

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 13 Sep 2007 00:41:46 GMT
Blinky the Shark scribed:
Am I [OT] yet?

No. I've read about 30 Greek plays. College. And, okay, last year or
so I read "Hippolytus". Again, probably. :)

Big deal. I read "Hippopotamus" when I was 7.

And I took my daughter to the best puppet show I have ever seen
at the Opera House called "The Mysterious Potamus" (great big
puppets, some filling the whole stage. It was about Leo the
Lion's search for one true friend. He had a very romantic idea.
He was helped along in his adventurous search by Hippo, his
"ordinary" friend. They together considered all sorts of
candidates. There was The Slope - too boring. There was The Snake
- too dangerous. Through all this, Hippos warned and guided and
helped Leo. Till it finally clicked in Leo's innocent head, his
one true friend was right there and had been faithfully with him
all along... da da!

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:45:14 GMT
Blinky the Shark scribed:
No wonder I've not heard of him. I've never read a Stephen King book or
seen a film based on one.

Are you one of them hermit sharks?
About a half-hour ago I finished "Clashes: Air Combat Over North Vietnam
1965-1972".

Ain't read too many war stories. Actually, I can't think of a single one.
As for movies, I saw a _few_ good 'uns like "Platoon" and "Tora! Tora!
Tora!"

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:02:06 GMT
Blinky the Shark scribed:
This week, my Netflix watches were "Little Dieter Needs To Fly" and "The
Searchers".

What a coincidence! Just the other day I read a critic on nudist campers
called "Little Dieter Needs A Fly"...

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:46:42
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

Oh, I liked the story as a plot; just reading
Hey, Jude
Don't be obscure
Take an old song
And make it famous

Hey Ju-oo-u-ooo-ude,
It is so poor
To whine and trill like
An ailing gibbon...

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 13 Sep 2007
08:45:14 GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

Are you one of them hermit sharks?

Ain't read too many war stories. Actually, I can't think of a single
one.

I rarely read any war stories, either. That one is analysis of the
effectiveness of training, tactics, formations, hardware, detection and
control, electronic countermeasures, weaponry, etc. About all I read
any more is history.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 12 Sep 2007 22:15:58 GMT
dorayme scribed:
Did you say Hardy? I saw a gorgeous BBC version of Under The
Greenwood Tree the other night.

Don't remember that one but it sounds seductive.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:02:06 GMT
Blinky the Shark scribed:

What a coincidence! Just the other day I read a critic on nudist campers
called "Little Dieter Needs A Fly"...

Now, I'd have thought with that title it was about a hungry young frog.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:48:58 GMT
Blinky the Shark scribed:
Of course you did. That's the kids' version. And, by the way, Euripides
never authorized it.

He he, he always reminded me of the proverbial Italian father:

"Hey, Frankie, you-rippa-dese pants again I'm-a gonna bop you upside the
head."

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 13 Sep 2007 22:51:19
GMT dorayme scribed:

And I took my daughter to the best puppet show I have ever seen
at the Opera House called "The Mysterious Potamus" (great big
puppets, some filling the whole stage. It was about Leo the
Lion's search for one true friend. He had a very romantic idea.
He was helped along in his adventurous search by Hippo, his
"ordinary" friend. They together considered all sorts of
candidates. There was The Slope - too boring. There was The Snake
- too dangerous. Through all this, Hippos warned and guided and
helped Leo. Till it finally clicked in Leo's innocent head, his
one true friend was right there and had been faithfully with him
all along... da da!

I get the point, but if you had a hippopotamus for a best friend, you might
want to look elsewhere, too.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 13 Sep 2007 09:26:17
GMT andrew scribed:
Actually I have spent a small piece of my life learning the original
(Ancient Greek) so I don't have to depend on the translations. Which
is why Cassandra / Aeschylos / etc are at the top of my mind:
Aeschylos Agamemnon is set this semester and I am up to line 800 in
the Greek :)

It must be great knowing another language (even if it's dead.) 'Tried
learning a coupla live ones once (French and Pig), and I was at least half
successful.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 13 Sep 2007 22:44:25
GMT dorayme scribed:
Virgil's Aeneid was a main text in the subject of Latin which,
amazingly, I did for over 13 years a long time ago. I like seeing
the name mentioned. Mention it again any time you like.

You took 13 years of Latin...? Then surely you can understand it. I took
2 and we (tried to) read little pieces of the original-text "Aeneid" in
class sometimes. Unfortunately, my mind was usually on the legs of the
girl who sat across from me whenever this occurred.
That Troy film, the one with that Brad Pitt fellow (I can barely
stand him in anything) looks like a pile of concocted shit. You
bought it? Don't you have video hire places in America?

We do, but at ~$4.00 a pop, it gets my goat. Often a purchase-price is so
(relatively) low, I just buy the damn thing. Troy was $9.99.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:48:58 GMT
Blinky the Shark scribed:

He he, he always reminded me of the proverbial Italian father:

"Hey, Frankie, you-rippa-dese pants again I'm-a gonna bop you upside the
head."

Q. British ships are called HMS [Whatever]; US ships use the prefix
USS. What prefix do Italian ships use?

A. AMB

Q. What does that mean?

A. 'Ats-a My Boat

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:45:14 GMT
Blinky the Shark scribed:

Are you one of them hermit sharks?

Stephen King is not even a third rate writer. He has an
unpleasant imagination, unpleasant interests and writes
accordingly. Tell Blinky, he is not missing anything.
Ain't read too many war stories. Actually, I can't think of a single one.
As for movies, I saw a _few_ good 'uns like "Platoon" and "Tora! Tora!
Tora!"

Compare Tora with that awful dross of the modern Pearl Harbour (I
lasted 21 mins in this latest "version"). Tora was a good old
fashioned competent Hollywood film. The latest was not a war
story but a sickening TV soapie...

Platoon was good.

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 13 Sep 2007 22:51:19
GMT dorayme scribed:

I get the point, but if you had a hippopotamus for a best friend, you might
want to look elsewhere, too.

can i call you Leo from now on then?

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
GMT dorayme scribed:

We do, but at ~$4.00 a pop, it gets my goat. Often a purchase-price is so
(relatively) low, I just buy the damn thing. Troy was $9.99.

Here in Sydney, one can hire them for a week on Thursdays for
$1.10 (the 10 cents is for the Goods and Services Tax).

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 16 Sep 2007 11:11:02
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:
Now, I'd have thought with that title it was about a hungry young
frog.

I think it started out that way, but the damn frog kissed a princess, said
"I do," and was ruined for life from that day on... Hopefully only a fairy
tale.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 16 Sep 2007 11:09:15 GMT
Blinky the Shark scribed:
I rarely read any war stories, either. That one is analysis of the
effectiveness of training, tactics, formations, hardware, detection and
control, electronic countermeasures, weaponry, etc. About all I read
any more is history.

Be ye a history buff? I had a real interest in world history which has
waned slightly over the years, but the schools made U.S. history just too
staid. Read a few books about the dawn of various (non-Egyptian) societies
which I liked though they could be quite dry in parts sometimes. Always
wondered not only where I came from but where "we" came from.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 16 Sep 2007 22:24:26
GMT dorayme scribed:
Stephen King is not even a third rate writer. He has an
unpleasant imagination, unpleasant interests and writes
accordingly. Tell Blinky, he is not missing anything.

Are you serious? I'll admit he's inconsistent, but he's also written
some of the best stuff I've read, -especially his early works. There is
Compare Tora with that awful dross of the modern Pearl Harbour (I
lasted 21 mins in this latest "version"). Tora was a good old
fashioned competent Hollywood film. The latest was not a war
story but a sickening TV soapie...

Yeah, I thought that might be the case. Didn't see it and probably won't
now
Platoon was good.

It was, but my fav Oliver Stone flick is still "Salvador". (I think I
said that before here, too.) James Woods was fantastic, and ol' Jim
Balushi didn't do too bad, either. The supporting cast also performed
greatly.