Problem with the inclusion of new files like lxml, django, numpy,etc.

joy99

Dear Group,

I am trying to download the following files,
a) lxml,
b) numpy,
c) scipy, and
d) django.

I am trying to include them in C\python26\Lib

But they are giving error report, as I am trying to use them by
importing.

I am using IDLE as GUI, my OS is WinXP SP2, and my Python version 2.6.

If any one suggest what is the problem, I am doing?

Best Regards,
Subhabrata

Diez B. Roggisch

joy99 said:
Dear Group,

I am trying to download the following files,
a) lxml,
b) numpy,
c) scipy, and
d) django.

I am trying to include them in C\python26\Lib

But they are giving error report, as I am trying to use them by
importing.

What is an "error report"? Unless you get more specific here, nobody
will be able to help you.

Diez

Robert Kern

Dear Group,

I am trying to download the following files,
a) lxml,
b) numpy,
c) scipy, and
d) django.

I am trying to include them in C\python26\Lib

But they are giving error report, as I am trying to use them by
importing.

I am using IDLE as GUI, my OS is WinXP SP2, and my Python version 2.6.

If any one suggest what is the problem, I am doing?

Exactly what steps are you doing? Are you following the detailed installation
instructions for each package? You cannot just download the packages and drop
them into Lib. Exactly what errors are you seeing? Please copy-and-paste
complete error messages; do not paraphrase.

Do one package at a time, and write to each package's mailing list if you need
help installing that package.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

joy99

Exactly what steps are you doing? Are you following the detailed installation
instructions for each package? You cannot just download the packages and drop
them into Lib. Exactly what errors are you seeing? Please copy-and-paste
complete error messages; do not paraphrase.

Do one package at a time, and write to each package's mailing list if you need
help installing that package.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco- Hide quoted text -

Dear Group,

The case for Django:

As I read the note for Django it says:

“How to install Django
This document will get you up and running with Django.
Install Python
Being a Python Web framework, Django requires Python.
It works with any Python version from 2.3 to 2.6….”
As Python is a prerequisite, I have already installed it and
successfully running.
The document further says, it needs a DBMS and as I am running
Python2.6 Sqllite is already installed.
It is said for the Windows system, “
1. On Windows systems, the same result can be achieved by copying the
file django-trunk/django/bin/django-admin.py to somewhere on your
system path, for example C:\Python24\Scripts.
You don't have to run python setup.py install, because you've already
carried out the equivalent actions in steps 3 and 4.”
Now , there is a word about installing apache. Should I have to
install apache as Django is a web server.

Now, what I did.
i) I have downloaded Django and it is a winrar file.
ii) I have extracted it to C\Python26\Lib\site-packages.
iii) I tried C\Python26\Scripts from command prompt it is coming upto
c:\python26> but as I am giving dir command or writing cd Scripts it
is giving a message “The system can not find path specified” and in
giving dir I am not seeing any Django file
iv) In IDLE when I am giving the input
IDLE 2.6
I am getting the following error message.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
from django.db import models
ImportError: No module named django.dbWhat is the problem I am doing?
2) lxml:
I went to the site: http://codespeak.net/lxml/installation.html and
tried to read the paragraph >>MS WINDOWS. I have run the binary
distribution for Python2.6 from the site : http://users.skynet.be/sbi/libxml-python/
and tried the following command on IDLE
IDLE 2.6but it is giving me the error message
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
from lxml import etree
File "C:\Python26\lib\lxml\etree.py", line 7, in <module>
__bootstrap__()
File "C:\Python26\lib\lxml\etree.py", line 3, in __bootstrap__
import sys, pkg_resources, imp
ImportError: No module named pkg_resources
But as I giveit is showing no error.

Is lxml inbuilt or got installed? But why etree command is not getting
executed, then?

I am trying to send the numpy and scipy problem in detail, soon.

Best Regards,
Subhabrata.

alex23

joy99 said:
What is the problem I am doing?

Following the wrong installation instructions?

The ones you _should_ be following state:

1. Download the latest release from our download page.
2. Untar the downloaded file (e.g. tar xzvf Django-NNN.tar.gz, where
NNN is the version number of the latest release). If you're using
Windows, you can download the command-line tool bsdtar to do this, or
you can use a GUI-based tool such as 7-zip.
3. Change into the directory created in step 2 (e.g. cd Django-NNN).
4. If you're using Linux, Mac OS X or some other flavor of Unix, enter
the command sudo python setup.py install at the shell prompt. If
you're using Windows, start up a command shell with administrator
privileges and run the command setup.py install.

From http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/install/#installing-official-release

Unpacking a module somewhere _other_ than site-packages and running
setup.py is a fairly common installation pattern with python.

Paul Boddie

Following the wrong installation instructions?

The "wrong" instructions appear to come from this page:

http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/install/

Those instructions are really for Django core developers. Anyone not
actually working on Django itself should be looking here instead:
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/install/#installing-offic...

Unpacking a module somewhere _other_ than site-packages and running
setup.py is a fairly common installation pattern with python.

Agreed. I don't understand why the download file would be a "winrar"
file, but I guess this is just Windows getting confused about the file
type.

Paul

Terry Reedy

Paul said:
Agreed. I don't understand why the download file would be a "winrar"
file, but I guess this is just Windows getting confused about the file
type.

Windows does not know much about files types other that .exe, .bat,
except what programs you load tell it. I presume the file is .zip.
Different unzip programs will give .zip files different names. Some
names files after themselves. 7zip acts properly and calls .zip a 'zip
archive'. I suspect you have WinRar loaded and that it 'brands' the
files it decodes.