Problem with the inclusion of new files like lxml, django, numpy,etc.

Discussion in 'Python' started by joy99, Sep 11, 2009.

  1. joy99

    joy99 Guest

    Dear Group,

    I am trying to download the following files,
    a) lxml,
    b) numpy,
    c) scipy, and
    d) django.

    I am trying to include them in C\python26\Lib

    But they are giving error report, as I am trying to use them by
    importing.

    I am using IDLE as GUI, my OS is WinXP SP2, and my Python version 2.6.

    If any one suggest what is the problem, I am doing?

    Best Regards,
    Subhabrata

    joy99, Sep 11, 2009

  2. joy99 schrieb:
    > Dear Group,
    >
    > I am trying to download the following files,
    > a) lxml,
    > b) numpy,
    > c) scipy, and
    > d) django.
    >
    > I am trying to include them in C\python26\Lib
    >
    > But they are giving error report, as I am trying to use them by
    > importing.

    What is an "error report"? Unless you get more specific here, nobody
    will be able to help you.

    Diez

    Diez B. Roggisch, Sep 11, 2009

  3. joy99

    Robert Kern Guest

    On 2009-09-11 11:39 AM, joy99 wrote:
    > Dear Group,
    >
    > I am trying to download the following files,
    > a) lxml,
    > b) numpy,
    > c) scipy, and
    > d) django.
    >
    > I am trying to include them in C\python26\Lib
    >
    > But they are giving error report, as I am trying to use them by
    > importing.
    >
    > I am using IDLE as GUI, my OS is WinXP SP2, and my Python version 2.6.
    >
    > If any one suggest what is the problem, I am doing?

    Exactly what steps are you doing? Are you following the detailed installation
    instructions for each package? You cannot just download the packages and drop
    them into Lib. Exactly what errors are you seeing? Please copy-and-paste
    complete error messages; do not paraphrase.

    Do one package at a time, and write to each package's mailing list if you need
    help installing that package.

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco

    Robert Kern, Sep 11, 2009
  4. joy99

    joy99 Guest

    On Sep 11, 10:19 pm, Robert Kern <> wrote:
    > On 2009-09-11 11:39 AM,joy99wrote:
    >

    > > Dear Group,

    > > I am trying to download the following files,
    > > a) lxml,
    > > b) numpy,
    > > c) scipy, and
    > > d) django.

    > > I am trying to include them in C\python26\Lib

    > > But they are giving error report, as I am trying to use them by
    > > importing.

    > > I am using IDLE as GUI, my OS is WinXP SP2, and my Python version 2.6.

    > > If any one suggest what is the problem, I am doing?

    > Exactly what steps are you doing? Are you following the detailed installation
    > instructions for each package? You cannot just download the packages and drop
    > them into Lib. Exactly what errors are you seeing? Please copy-and-paste
    > complete error messages; do not paraphrase.
    >
    > Do one package at a time, and write to each package's mailing list if you need
    > help installing that package.
    >
    > --
    > Robert Kern

    >   that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had
    >   an underlying truth."
    >    -- Umberto Eco- Hide quoted text -

    Dear Group,

    The case for Django:

    As I read the note for Django it says:

    “How to install Django
    This document will get you up and running with Django.
    Install Python
    Being a Python Web framework, Django requires Python.
    It works with any Python version from 2.3 to 2.6….”
    As Python is a prerequisite, I have already installed it and
    successfully running.
    The document further says, it needs a DBMS and as I am running
    Python2.6 Sqllite is already installed.
    It is said for the Windows system, “
    1. On Windows systems, the same result can be achieved by copying the
    file django-trunk/django/bin/django-admin.py to somewhere on your
    system path, for example C:\Python24\Scripts.
    You don't have to run python setup.py install, because you've already
    carried out the equivalent actions in steps 3 and 4.”
    Now , there is a word about installing apache. Should I have to
    install apache as Django is a web server.

    Now, what I did.
    i) I have downloaded Django and it is a winrar file.
    ii) I have extracted it to C\Python26\Lib\site-packages.
    iii) I tried C\Python26\Scripts from command prompt it is coming upto
    c:\python26> but as I am giving dir command or writing cd Scripts it
    is giving a message “The system can not find path specified” and in
    giving dir I am not seeing any Django file
    iv) In IDLE when I am giving the input
    IDLE 2.6
    >>> from django.db import models

    I am getting the following error message.

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
    from django.db import models
    ImportError: No module named django.db

    What is the problem I am doing?
    2) lxml:
    I went to the site: http://codespeak.net/lxml/installation.html and
    tried to read the paragraph >>MS WINDOWS. I have run the binary
    distribution for Python2.6 from the site : http://users.skynet.be/sbi/libxml-python/
    and tried the following command on IDLE
    IDLE 2.6
    >>> from lxml import etree

    but it is giving me the error message
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
    from lxml import etree
    File "C:\Python26\lib\lxml\etree.py", line 7, in <module>
    __bootstrap__()
    File "C:\Python26\lib\lxml\etree.py", line 3, in __bootstrap__
    import sys, pkg_resources, imp
    ImportError: No module named pkg_resources
    But as I give
    >>> from lxml import*

    it is showing no error.

    Is lxml inbuilt or got installed? But why etree command is not getting
    executed, then?

    I am trying to send the numpy and scipy problem in detail, soon.

    Best Regards,
    Subhabrata.

    joy99, Sep 12, 2009
  5. joy99

    alex23 Guest

    joy99 <> wrote:
    > What is the problem I am doing?

    Following the wrong installation instructions?

    The ones you _should_ be following state:

    1. Download the latest release from our download page.
    2. Untar the downloaded file (e.g. tar xzvf Django-NNN.tar.gz, where
    NNN is the version number of the latest release). If you're using
    Windows, you can download the command-line tool bsdtar to do this, or
    you can use a GUI-based tool such as 7-zip.
    3. Change into the directory created in step 2 (e.g. cd Django-NNN).
    4. If you're using Linux, Mac OS X or some other flavor of Unix, enter
    the command sudo python setup.py install at the shell prompt. If
    you're using Windows, start up a command shell with administrator
    privileges and run the command setup.py install.

    From http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/install/#installing-official-release

    Unpacking a module somewhere _other_ than site-packages and running
    setup.py is a fairly common installation pattern with python.

    alex23, Sep 14, 2009
  6. joy99

    Paul Boddie Guest

    On 14 Sep, 04:46, alex23 <> wrote:
    > joy99 <> wrote:
    > > What is the problem I am doing?

    > Following the wrong installation instructions?

    The "wrong" instructions appear to come from this page:

    http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/install/

    Those instructions are really for Django core developers. Anyone not
    actually working on Django itself should be looking here instead:

    > http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/install/#installing-offic...
    >
    > Unpacking a module somewhere _other_ than site-packages and running
    > setup.py is a fairly common installation pattern with python.

    Agreed. I don't understand why the download file would be a "winrar"
    file, but I guess this is just Windows getting confused about the file
    type.

    Paul

    Paul Boddie, Sep 14, 2009
  7. joy99

    Terry Reedy Guest

    Paul Boddie wrote:

    > Agreed. I don't understand why the download file would be a "winrar"
    > file, but I guess this is just Windows getting confused about the file
    > type.

    Windows does not know much about files types other that .exe, .bat,
    except what programs you load tell it. I presume the file is .zip.
    Different unzip programs will give .zip files different names. Some
    names files after themselves. 7zip acts properly and calls .zip a 'zip
    archive'. I suspect you have WinRar loaded and that it 'brands' the
    files it decodes.

    Terry Reedy, Sep 14, 2009