Problem with this page/table

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Simon, Jan 18, 2004.

  1. Simon

    Simon Guest

    Can anyone tell me why the image on the right of this page
    http://www.asdj67.dsl.pipex.com/hurst.htm is appearing under the table?
    Would the best way around the problem be to put the text on the left and
    image on the right into the top row of the table. (Create a new top row in
    the table).

    Another question; when I first wrote the page I wanted to 'reference' the
    top level directory first for the images (so that no matter where the user
    was within the site layout, the browser would go to the top level of the
    directory structure and then downward for the images). To start with I had
    "..\images\thumbs\xxx.jpg" but I found this to be the incorrect slash. I
    understand it should be "../images/thumbs/xxx.jpg", but it did work with the
    slashes the other way around. Is this dependant on which OS the web server
    is running? Or is it just plain wrong to use the \ slash?

    People are probably going to say I should use CSS instead of tables, but
    I've only been learning HTML for the past few days so don't want to
    complicate things for myself as tables seem nice and easy.

    This is a work in progress and I'm a HTML newbie, so don't bash me :) But
    suggestions on ways to improve how I'm doing things would be welcome.

    Simon, Jan 18, 2004

  2. Simon wrote:
    > People are probably going to say I should use CSS instead of tables, but
    > I've only been learning HTML for the past few days so don't want to
    > complicate things for myself as tables seem nice and easy.

    If you don't want to complicate things, just use structural HTML with no
    presentation at all. Add CSS to it later.

    Leif K-Brooks, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Simon

    Paul Furman Guest

    Simon wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me why the image on the right of this page
    > http://www.asdj67.dsl.pipex.com/hurst.htm is appearing under the table?
    > Would the best way around the problem be to put the text on the left and
    > image on the right into the top row of the table. (Create a new top row in
    > the table).
    >
    > Another question; when I first wrote the page I wanted to 'reference' the
    > top level directory first for the images (so that no matter where the user
    > was within the site layout, the browser would go to the top level of the
    > directory structure and then downward for the images). To start with I had
    > "..\images\thumbs\xxx.jpg" but I found this to be the incorrect slash. I
    > understand it should be "../images/thumbs/xxx.jpg", but it did work with the
    > slashes the other way around. Is this dependant on which OS the web server
    > is running? Or is it just plain wrong to use the \ slash?
    >
    > People are probably going to say I should use CSS instead of tables, but
    > I've only been learning HTML for the past few days so don't want to
    > complicate things for myself as tables seem nice and easy.
    >
    > This is a work in progress and I'm a HTML newbie, so don't bash me :) But
    > suggestions on ways to improve how I'm doing things would be welcome.

    Backslash is incorrect and only works locally not on the web.

    I don't know why the url's in the table work. It seems they should not.
    Remove the ../

    You would only use that if you were inside the images or thumbs folder.

    The image is at http://www.asdj67.dsl.pipex.com/images/hurst/hinline1.jpg
    the page is at
    http://www.asdj67.dsl.pipex.com/hurst.htm
    you are already at the top so the path should simply be
    images/hurst/hinline1.jpg
    no need to go back, there is no further back to go
    same for
    http://www.asdj67.dsl.pipex.com/images/hurstheader.jpg

    Paul Furman, Jan 18, 2004
  4. Simon

    Paul Furman Guest

    Simon wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me why the image on the right of this page
    > http://www.asdj67.dsl.pipex.com/hurst.htm is appearing under the table?
    > Would the best way around the problem be to put the text on the left and
    > image on the right into the top row of the table. (Create a new top row in
    > the table).

    Oh, I see. Yes put the top stuff in a separate table. <table border="0">
    I've never seen the img align right with text on the left, that's what's
    making it so strange.

    Paul Furman, Jan 18, 2004
  5. Simon

    Safalra Guest

    "Simon" <> wrote in message news:<400a6f00$0$27811$>...
    > To start with I had
    > "..\images\thumbs\xxx.jpg" but I found this to be the incorrect slash. I
    > understand it should be "../images/thumbs/xxx.jpg", but it did work with the
    > slashes the other way around. Is this dependant on which OS the web server
    > is running? Or is it just plain wrong to use the \ slash?

    Some browsers (Internet Explorer and Opera for example, but not old
    versions of Netscape) correct the stroke before requesting the page
    from the server. In terms of servers, the one hosting my site (Apache)
    doesn't correct the stroke (there may be an option concerning this,
    but I haven't looked...), but I suspect Microsoft servers probably do.
    The backwards stroke is incorrect anyhow, so you should always use the
    forwards stroke.

    --- Safalra (Stephen Morley) ---
    http://www.safalra.com/hypertext

    Safalra, Jan 18, 2004
  6. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    > Simon wrote:
    >
    > > Can anyone tell me why the image on the right of this page
    > > http://www.asdj67.dsl.pipex.com/hurst.htm is appearing under the table?
    > > Would the best way around the problem be to put the text on the left and
    > > image on the right into the top row of the table. (Create a new top row

    in
    > > the table).

    > Oh, I see. Yes put the top stuff in a separate table. <table border="0">
    > I've never seen the img align right with text on the left, that's what's
    > making it so strange.

    Thanks.

    Simon, Jan 18, 2004
  7. Simon

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    "Simon" <> wrote in

    > People are probably going to say I should use CSS instead of tables,
    > but I've only been learning HTML for the past few days so don't want
    > to complicate things for myself as tables seem nice and easy.

    With all respect, I'm going to suggest that by doing so you're actually
    going to make things harder for yourself in the long run. Much of the
    difficulty people seem to have learning CSS is, I rather strongly suspect,
    not due to anything hard about CSS itself, but rather due to the fact that
    they've learned bad habits (hackish use of tables) and have to unlearn them
    in the course of learning CSS. They get mentally locked into thinking of
    CSS in terms of what table arrangement the various rules correspond to, and
    that makes it harder for them to develop a proper mental model of CSS
    rendering. Creating a new mental model of something from scratch, while a
    lot of work, is almost always easier than trying to modify an existing
    mental model.

    So I think you'll become a better designer if you avoid picking up
    techniques that may work in a limited sense in the short term, but that
    become increasingly difficult and error-prone as you try to do more complex
    things. If you learn CSS from a "clean slate" it will become second nature
    to you.

    Eric Bohlman, Jan 19, 2004