problem with Tkinter after installing Python 2.5.2 on UBUNTU

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dogzilla1000@gmail.com, Jul 8, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I just installed Python 2.5.2 on UBUNTU Linux. It seems to work,
    however I don't seem to have access Tkinter. This is the result of
    "import Tkinter":

    Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Jul 7 2008, 12:39:49)
    >>> import Tkinter

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 38, in
    <module>
    import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured
    for Tk
    ImportError: No module named _tkinter

    What do I need to do to configure Python for Tk?

    , Jul 8, 2008

  2. Jerry Hill Guest

    On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 12:44 PM, <> wrote:
    > I just installed Python 2.5.2 on UBUNTU Linux. It seems to work,
    > however I don't seem to have access Tkinter. This is the result of
    > "import Tkinter":

    I think ubuntu and debian both split Tkinter out of their main python
    packages. Try installing the python-tk package (via your favorite
    package manager, or from the command line 'sudo aptitude install
    python-tk')

    --
    Jerry

    Jerry Hill, Jul 8, 2008