problem with tutor mailing

administrata

i'm using tutor maling...

i e-mail some questions to tutor and

get answers.

but, i frequently get mails which aren't related with my question.

how should i stop it?

Brian van den Broek

administrata said unto the world upon 2005-02-16 16:11:
i'm using tutor maling...

i e-mail some questions to tutor and

get answers.

but, i frequently get mails which aren't related with my question.

how should i stop it?

You do know it's a mailing list that you've subscribed too, right?

As in, people post and you get their posts, not just replies to your
own messages.

You could read it via gmane and read only the replies to your threads
-- though I am not sure if you can post to Tutor without being a
subscriber.

I do get the downside of subscribing -- at the very least, you've got
to put up with long questions posted by me ;-)

But, I'd encourage you to remain subscribed. I am certainly no expert
(as today's Tutor traffic can attest). But, much of what I know I
learned by reading other people's questions and the answers to them.

Best,

Brian vdB

Kartic

but, i frequently get mails which aren't related with my question.

You mean spam?! This is not the first time you are using email, is it?
how should i stop it?

Well, it depends. If you are on *nix machine, you can install
Spamassassin locally for your id and filter emails out.

If you are on a Windows machine and use outlook, you can install
Spambayes for Outlook. See http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/
for more info.

If you are using OE, I would recommend installing Thunderbird and using
the built-in junk mail controls. It is pretty cool and works well.

I am sure you will get a lot of other ideas from the other fine people
on this list.

HTH!
-Kartic

Kartic

Ah...I see your predicament after reading Brian's response. I mistook
your post to be about getting spammed.

Sorry fella, if you are on a mailing list you are going to get ALL
mails addressed to the list (whether or not they are responses to your
questions). Your only option is to turn off mail delivery completely,
but that means you will not get any answers related to your questions
either.

Believe me, it is not a bad idea or an inconvenience to receive other
emails on the list; you will learn a thing or two!

Thanks,
-Kartic