Problem with URL codebase in java.policy file

Terri I.

I have a 1.4.2 applet that copies images to the system
clipboard. Everything works fine if I grant permission
to access the clipboard as a global privilege. But when
I try to specify the URL codeBase, I continue to get access
denied error that the accessClipboard permission is needed.

Here is what I included in the java.policy file:
grant codeBase "http://abc-www01.org/TestNewBrowsers/-" {
permission java.awt.AWTPermission "accessClipboard";
};

I also tried using the IP address rather than the server name,
with same results. I know the java.policy file is in the
right location because it works when I put in the global grant.

I also tried signing the applet to see if that made a
difference but it didn't. I still had to grant the
permission in the policy file.

Setting file: permissions does work, but of course, doesn't help
me when I'm trying to deploy applet via web page.

Does anybody have any idea why an http: codebase definition
would not work?? I thought it might be because we use proxies on
our network, but I have it set not to go through a proxy for .org.