    PEW ;-)
    Delete SILLY BOY to get email address.

    Sandy Bay, Hobart, Tas, AU.
    Peter Williams, May 27, 2006

  2. On Sat, 27 May 2006 10:42:18 +0100, Peter Williams wrote
    (in article <_9Vdg.11766$>):

    > Hi All,
    >
    > The webpage here:
    >
    > http://pewtas.googlepages.com/delphi
    >
    > has a problem which appears when the page is viewed with Firefox
    > browser (latest version for Windows). Note that the file appears okay
    > when viewed using IE6.
    >
    > The problem is that the table is cropped vertically in the last (3rd)
    > column.
    >
    > Can someone please debug the page and suggest a correction to fix this
    > bug?!? I will be very grateful :)))

    If you change
    #container {
    width: 718px; ... }
    #container {
    width: 100%; ... }

    you will allow space for your third column (or make it 98% if you prefer).

    --
    Sally in Shropshire, UK
    http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk
    Sally Thompson, May 27, 2006

  3. Peter Williams

    mbstevens Guest

    Sally Thompson wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 May 2006 10:42:18 +0100, Peter Williams wrote
    > (in article <_9Vdg.11766$>):
    >

    >>Hi All,
    >>
    >> The webpage here:
    >>
    >>http://pewtas.googlepages.com/delphi
    >>
    >> has a problem which appears when the page is viewed with Firefox
    >>browser (latest version for Windows). Note that the file appears okay
    >>when viewed using IE6.
    >>
    >> The problem is that the table is cropped vertically in the last (3rd)
    >>column.
    >>
    >> Can someone please debug the page and suggest a correction to fix this
    >>bug?!? I will be very grateful :)))

    > If you change
    > #container {
    > width: 718px; ... }
    > #container {
    > width: 100%; ... }
    >
    > you will allow space for your third column (or make it 98% if you prefer).

    That loo<p> </p> ks like the solution to me.
    I would also mention that if the op is going to use a hundred or so
    lines of CSS, he shouldn't be mixing in code like this --

    <center> <table border="10" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="70%">

    -- nor like this --

    -- all deprecated markup and spacer kludges that CSS is designed, in
    part, to get out of your markup.

    Don't declare a doc type unless you can validate to it.
    The op shouldn't make the claim of Xhtml strict in the doctype
    unless the code actually validates to that doc type. See here:
    http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://pewtas.googlepages.com/delphi

    And the validator refuses to even look at the CSS until the XML is
    validated.

    Since the op is using firefox, I suggest that he download and install
    the web developer extension for that browser. It will be a
    big help.
    --
    mbstevens
    http://www.mbstevens.com
    mbstevens, May 27, 2006
  4. Peter Williams

    mbstevens Guest

    mbstevens wrote:

    > That loo<p> </p> ks like the solution to me.

    I have no idea how I managed to do that. The
    line should read

    That looks like the solution to me.
    mbstevens, May 27, 2006
  5. Sally Thompson wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 May 2006 10:42:18 +0100, Peter Williams wrote
    > (in article <_9Vdg.11766$>):
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> The webpage here:
    >>
    >> http://pewtas.googlepages.com/delphi
    >>
    >> has a problem which appears when the page is viewed with Firefox
    >> browser (latest version for Windows). Note that the file appears okay
    >> when viewed using IE6.
    >>
    >> The problem is that the table is cropped vertically in the last (3rd)
    >> column.
    >>
    >> Can someone please debug the page and suggest a correction to fix this
    >> bug?!? I will be very grateful :)))

    > If you change
    > #container {
    > width: 718px; ... }
    > #container {
    > width: 100%; ... }
    >
    > you will allow space for your third column (or make it 98% if you prefer).

    then in the mix:

    #main-content {
    overflow: hidden;
    }

    ( translation: means anything within main-content that is larger than
    main-content gets cropped! )

    Much conflicting CSS and then overridden again inline! Use of
    pixel-fixed containers...enlarge the text and see what happens!

    My advice is strip out all CSS, fix your markup and rid any deprecated
    or presentational markup. Then rebuild your styling from scratch and
    resist all the hacks...and constrained DIV's

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, May 27, 2006
  6. Peter Williams

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <gPYdg.5828$>,
    mbstevens <> wrote:

    > mbstevens wrote:
    >
    > > That loo<p> </p> ks like the solution to me.

    > I have no idea how I managed to do that. The
    > line should read
    >
    > That looks like the solution to me.

    ....even I guessed that. Don't worry mb...

    But, talking of old movies, saw Tex Ritter and a young Rita
    Hayworth in Trouble in Texas last night. If you need to see a
    cowboy film that shows off just about everything about the skills
    of cowboys and rodeo and dancing and every other American thing,
    this is the one. And, just by the way, incredibly, Tex talks a
    bit like Heath Ledger in Brokeback mountain. It is not what he
    says, not even particularly the accent but the delivery, you have
    to see and hear both. And what is particularly noteworthy is that
    Ledger put great effort into talking that way to show how
    difficult it was to express himself in the world, whereas Tex was
    just your regular cheery gal respecting and lovin' cowboy hero.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 28, 2006
  7. Peter Williams

    mbstevens Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > And what is particularly noteworthy is that
    > Ledger put great effort into talking that way to show how
    > difficult it was to express himself in the world, whereas Tex was
    > just your regular cheery gal respecting and lovin' cowboy hero.

    It seems to be all you need to do to get elected, too, no matter
    what your level of competence.

    Of course, Tex only kissed his horse. It was the rule in old
    westerns.
    mbstevens, May 28, 2006
  8. Peter Williams

    ironcorona Guest

    mbstevens wrote:

    > That loo<p> </p> ks like the solution to me.
    > I would also mention that if the op is going to use a hundred or so
    > lines of CSS, he shouldn't be mixing in code like this --
    >
    > <center> <table border="10" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="70%">
    >
    > -- nor like this --

    > -- all deprecated markup and spacer kludges that CSS is designed, in
    > part, to get out of your markup.
    >
    > Don't declare a doc type unless you can validate to it.
    > The op shouldn't make the claim of Xhtml strict in the doctype
    > unless the code actually validates to that doc type. See here:
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://pewtas.googlepages.com/delphi

    This is a googlepages page. The OP might not have any control over much
    of the html. Even when you're using the html view in googlepages
    creator when you save it, it will automatically save it the way it
    wants. Googlepages is even worse than frontpage for nice clean html.

    --
    Brian O'Connor (ironcorona)
    ironcorona, May 28, 2006
  9. mbstevens <> scripsit:

    > Don't declare a doc type unless you can validate to it.

    Why not? Of course it would be theoretically incorrect, but why bother about
    such issues when people use theoretically incorrect constructs in much more
    serious issues (like violating RFC 1036)?

    On the practical side, using a DOCTYPE declaration that is one of those
    mentioned in HTML specifications prevents browsers from applying
    intentionally wrong processing rules ("quirks mode").

    On the theoretical side, omitting a DOCTYPE declaration from a syntactically
    malformed document does not make it any more valid or correct HTML document.
    Jukka K. Korpela, May 28, 2006