Problem with writing an interface for system() call...

haynes george

hi ..

I was reading the tutorial "Extending and Embedding
the python interpreter" available with python ..

http://www.python.org/doc/2.2.3/ext/ext.html

As per given in the tutorial i created an interface to
the system() system call.

this is the code of my module

Code:
#include<Python.h>

static PyObject * spam_system(self,args)
{
PyObject * self;
PyObject * args;
char * command;
int sts;

if ( !PyArg_ParseTuple(args, "s" , &command))
return NULL;

sts = system(command);
return Py_BuildValue("i",sts);
}

static PyMethodDef SpamMethods[] = {
{ "system", spam_system , METH_VARARGS,"Execute a
shell command"},
{NULL,NULL,0,NULL}
};

void initspam(void){
(void) Py_InitModule("spam", SpamMethods);
}

int main(int argc,char **argv)
{
// Py_SetProgName(argv[0]);

/* I COMMENTED THE ABOVE CALL AS IT GAVE ME SOME WIERD
ERROR */

Py_Initialize();

initspam();
}

i was able to compile the above code using disutils
package available with python .

http://www.python.org/doc/2.2.3/ext/building.html

I was even able to import the module into the python
interpreter but caling the function gave me the
following error

Code:python: Python/getargs.c:90: vgetargs1: Assertion
`compat || (args != (PyObject*)((void *)0))' failed.
Aborted
[haynes@fosters:~/python]
whaaaaattttt????

any idea?