Problem with WSE and Win98...(MVP Replies prefered)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Raphaël Désalbres, Oct 18, 2005.

  1. Hello to everyone,

    I have the following problem:

    I MUST host my client application on Windows 98, with .NET Framework 1.1

    I am using Visual Studio .NET 2003.

    I'm using WSE to send text files that must be digitally signed, and use SSL.

    WSE 2.0 sp3 does not install under win98, so I did some tricks,

    I copied the dll Microsoft.Web.Services2.dll to the same path as the
    executables, and it worked fine...

    But there's a problem, if the computer on the client has more than 5
    minutes, an exception will occur:
    "An error was discovered processing the <Security> header"

    To solve this problem, we must alter Web.Config on the client and on the
    server.
    On the server we must put:

    <security>
    <defaultTtlInSeconds>86400</defaultTtlInSeconds>
    <timeToleranceInSeconds>86400</timeToleranceInSeconds>
    </security>

    Note: 86400 is 24 hours * 60 min * 60 seconds

    And on the client, at the <WindowsApplication1>.exe.config the following
    code:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <configuration>
    <configSections>
    <section name="microsoft.web.services2"
    type="Microsoft.Web.Services2.Configuration.WebServicesConfiguration,
    Microsoft.Web.Services2, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" />
    </configSections>
    <microsoft.web.services2>
    <security>
    <defaultTtlInSeconds>86400</defaultTtlInSeconds>
    <timeToleranceInSeconds>86400</timeToleranceInSeconds>
    </security>
    <diagnostics />
    </microsoft.web.services2>
    </configuration>

    Fine until then, but now an other exception occurs:

    "there was an error loading the microsoft.web.services2. configuration
    section"
    To solve this problem, we must get from the GAC (using command prompt,
    navigating to C:\Windows\Assembly) the file

    Policy.2.0.Microsoft.Web.Services2.dll with its correpondent xml policy
    file.

    But for installing on the GAC this dll, we need gacutil.exe file, that ships
    with Visual Studio .NET, and also the dll msvcr71.dll

    Fine!

    Then my problem:

    When using a X509 certificate to digitally sign my file, I get a WSE
    exception saying that the program can only run under windows 2000/XP/2003

    So what can I do? Hope you can help me. Do I have to purchase a separate
    component? Is there another way to send an attachment? I also tried to used
    the Pocket Soap Toolkit 3.0 without success!

    Thanks,

    Raphaël Désalbres

    Raphaël Désalbres, Oct 18, 2005

  2. I do beleive that Windows 98 is not supported in Server side neither in
    Client side of WSE 2.0 WebServices... So, I wouldn't do it in a production
    environment...

    Saying that, I have not test it, but I read that having the following, WSE
    could work with Win98:

    "Install Microsoft.Web.Services.dll into GAC (try it, instead of copying the
    dll Microsoft.Web.Services2.dll into the same path as the executables), and
    having the last IE installed on Win98, WSE WebServices could be consumed from
    Win98. However, some features could not be available. Windows 2000 or Windows
    XP can utilize more features of WSE..."

    But I'm not sure about it. Sorry, I haven't touched a Win98 in several
    years. I'm sure there is none Win98 within my company. Sorry.

    --
    CESAR DE LA TORRE
    Software Architect

    Renacimiento
    [Microsoft GOLD Certified Partner]

    CESAR DE LA TORRE [MVP], Oct 18, 2005

  3. BTW, low level API like DPAPI is not supported on a plain Windows 98, you
    need to have the required service packs (usually better than sp3) on Windows
    98...
    Make sure you install the lastest Service Pack on Windows 98 and try again
    with WSE... But it's gonna be difficult to have a WSE-client working over
    Win98...

    CESAR DE LA TORRE [MVP], Oct 19, 2005
  4. Okay, thanks very much Mr. de La Torre...

    Have a nice day,

    Raphaël Désalbres

    Raphaël Désalbres, Oct 19, 2005