problem writing a file

Iain A. Mcleod

Hi,
I'm really stuck with this one - wondering if you can spot the problem?
I think that it's a webserver problem that goes deeper than web.config.
I've not been able to write to a file on a network share via ASP.NET. The
network share is not the same as the webserver.

relevant section of web.config:
<appSettings>
<!-- the location we cannot write to. My staging server
doesn't have write permissions here, but I do if authenticating as
myself -->
<add key="ProjectCollection"
value=\\my_server\userhome\MyAccount\websiteTests\test.txt />
</appSettings>
<!-- Neither of these work!
I have write perms here for my user accunt and believe that
my staging server has write perms here too
add key="ProjectCollection"
value=\\my_server\commondocuments\websiteTests\test.txt />
-->
</appSettings>
<system.web>
<!-- I have also tried "None" here -->
<authentication mode="Windows" />

<!-- I have tried leaving this out -->
<identity impersonate="true" />

<authorization>
<allow users="mydomain\myusername" />
<deny users="*" />
<!-- I have tried allow users="*" but I think that then my server
tries to authenticate as ASPNET. This certainly should not access my home
folder, but should??? access the common share. I believe that my
administrator has set up access privs for my server on the common share. It
doesn't access it however! -->
</authorization>
</system.web>
Relevant code:
Private Sub btnSearch_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles btnSearch.Click
'identity we are running as - 2 ways of getting the same
information
' returns my username if I am impersonating and
authenticating in web.config
'however, still cannot write to either folder no
matter what I am impersonating or not
Trace.Write(Page.User.Identity.Name)

Trace.Write(System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent().Name)
'filename we are trying to write to
Dim strFileName As String =
ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("ProjectCollection")
Trace.Write(strFileName)
'fails here. This creates a file in location specified by
Config setting above
Dim fs As FileStream = New FileStream(strFileName,
FileMode.Append)
Dim w As New StreamWriter(fs)
w.WriteLine("Test")
w.Close()