    '?'

    Any ideas?

    Kal

    diablo, Dec 19, 2005

  2. diablo

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Re: problemm with pound =?iso-8859-1?b?ow==?= sign

    diablo wrote:

    > Now on some pages the pound £ is displayed but on others it comes out as a
    > '?'

    Check the charset parameter on your Content-Type HTTP header.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Dec 19, 2005

  3. diablo

    diablo Guest

    "diablo" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have this html/script

    > Now on some pages the pound £ is displayed but on others it comes out as a
    > '?'
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Kal

    By the way this only happens in Firefox - it is ok in IE

    diablo, Dec 19, 2005
  4. diablo

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, diablo
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > Now on some pages the pound £ is displayed but on others it comes out as a
    > '?'

    &pound;

    --
    Mark Parnell
    Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:

    Mark Parnell, Dec 19, 2005
  5. diablo

    diablo Guest

    Re: problemm with pound sign

    > &pound;

    Thanks Mark

    This worked great

    diablo, Dec 19, 2005
  6. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Re=3A_problemm_with_pound_=A3_sign?=

    On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Mark Parnell wrote:

    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, diablo
    > <> spouted in alt.html:
    >
    > > Now on some pages the pound £ is displayed but on others it comes
    > > out as a '?'

    > &pound;

    Well, yes, that rates to solve the immediate problem; but the
    immediate problem looks to me to be a symptom of a failure to properly
    specify the character encoding (charset= attribute) of the page in
    question. Unless and until that fault is addressed, the original
    poster must expect to get analogous problems in other places too, into
    the future.

    I note that the original poster said elsewhere that:
    > > By the way this only happens in Firefox - it is ok in IE

    This is always a Big Red Warning Sign. IE has a dirty habit of doing
    what it guesses the author intended, instead of doing what the author
    actually asked for. As such, IE should NEVER, repeat *NEVER*, be used
    as any kind of test for correctness. Mozilla (or firefox if that be
    your preference), on the other hand, does what it is told, rather than
    what it guesses it ought to have been told instead. Bottom line:
    design it for the WWW, make it work with Mozilla first, and then
    verify that MSIE also gets it right. Never vice versa. This cannot
    be stressed too strongly, IMHO.

    I think it's fair to say that MSIE is the only browser(-like object)
    that feels it can ride roughshod over the interworking rules in this
    way. Some other browsers do have various kinds of error fixup behind
    the scenes, but, if you don't make any errors, those fixups should
    never be provoked. To put it in different words: design first for
    the WWW (with the limitations of MSIE in mind), as part of your basic
    structural design. Verify with actual browsers (and particularly with
    MSIE) afterwards, as part of your quality control measures. Muddling
    these two aspects of web design, i.e fiddling around until the page
    merely looks right on a browser or two, is no substitute for knowing
    what you're doing.

    YMMV, IMHO and bar. hth.

    Alan J. Flavell, Dec 20, 2005