Problems Accessing a UNC Share from ASP.NET Pages

Paul M. Frazier

I am writing an ASP.NET application that creates an Excel spreadsheet
in a UNC Share folder and allows users to download that spreadsheet,
edit it, and upload it back to the UNC share. The file exists but
when I try to download it, the aspx page just beeps at me. When I
enter the URL to the file in a browser, I get an error telling me that
Windows cannot find the file. My permissions on the share are set
the same as the end user's will be. My colleague, whose domain
account has full permission to the share, is able to go to the site
and download the file without a problem.

The application uses Integrated Windows Authentication without
Anonymous Access. The ASPNET worker process's domain account has full
access to the share. I have tried setting the web.config to

identity impersonate="false"

identity impersonate="true"

and

identity impersonate="true" userName="DOMAIN\aspnetdomainaccount"
password="password"

and all three fail.

Authentication mode = "Windows" and authorization = allow users="*".
The processModel of the machine.config file the settings are:

enable="true" userName="DOMAIN\aspnetdomainaccount"
password="password"

I have verified that the domain account has the correct access rights
to the ASP.NEt Temporary Files folder, the %temp% directory, the
application directory, and the %installroot% directory.

I have set up the share to FullTrust as described in MS KB Article
#320268 and it still fails. For security reasons, we must restrict
access to the share to the aspnet worker process. We are working in a
load-balanced environment.

It seems clear that the identity of the logged on user is being passed
to the share for Authorization and we need it to pass the worker
process identity. Can anyone advise me on how to proceed here?

Thanks,
Paul M. Frazier
(e-mail address removed)