Problems building 2.5.1 on AIX

Roy Smith

I've got an AIX-5.2 box that I'm trying to build Python 2.5.1 on.
Configure dies pretty much immediately:

hasty:python-2.5.1$ CC=/usr/vacpp/bin/cc_r ./configure --without-gcc
checking MACHDEP... aix5
checking EXTRAPLATDIR...
checking for --without-gcc... yes
checking for gcc... cc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

I get the same result with or without the --without-cgg. There's nothing
obvious in config.log (not that I can ever make much sense out of the
gibberish configure generates).

Any ideas?

Martin v. Löwis

hasty:python-2.5.1$ CC=/usr/vacpp/bin/cc_r ./configure --without-gcc
checking MACHDEP... aix5
checking EXTRAPLATDIR...
checking for --without-gcc... yes
checking for gcc... cc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

I get the same result with or without the --without-cgg. There's nothing
obvious in config.log (not that I can ever make much sense out of the
gibberish configure generates).

Any ideas?

You really do have to check config.log. Check for any lines where it
tries to invoke the compiler, and check whether it does so in the way
you expect it to.

From the output you provide, it seems to use "cc" as the compiler,
not /usr/vacpp/bin/cc_r. Looking at the comfigure code, this is not
surprising: --without-gcc resets CC to cc.

Regards,
Martin