    obvious in config.log (not that I can ever make much sense out of the
    gibberish configure generates).

    Any ideas?

    Roy Smith, Mar 1, 2008

  2. > hasty:python-2.5.1$ CC=/usr/vacpp/bin/cc_r ./configure --without-gcc
    > checking MACHDEP... aix5
    > checking EXTRAPLATDIR...
    > checking for --without-gcc... yes
    > checking for gcc... cc
    > checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
    > compiler cannot create executables
    > See `config.log' for more details.
    >
    > I get the same result with or without the --without-cgg. There's nothing
    > obvious in config.log (not that I can ever make much sense out of the
    > gibberish configure generates).
    >
    > Any ideas?

    You really do have to check config.log. Check for any lines where it
    tries to invoke the compiler, and check whether it does so in the way
    you expect it to.

    From the output you provide, it seems to use "cc" as the compiler,
    not /usr/vacpp/bin/cc_r. Looking at the comfigure code, this is not
    surprising: --without-gcc resets CC to cc.

    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin v. Löwis, Mar 1, 2008