Problems compiling/running ASP.NET AJAX sample pages...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by celoftis, Nov 10, 2006.

  1. celoftis

    celoftis Guest

    Using VS 2005:
    This morning, following the instructions here:
    http://ajax.asp.net/docs/overview/InstallingASPNETAJAX.aspx,
    I installed ASP.NET AJAX on my WinXP Pro development machine. Following
    that, I installed the "November 2006 CTP" and "Control Toolkit" - then
    I re-booted my machine.

    Next I tried to create a simple, sample page...
    I have the AJAX controls in my toolbox, but when I drag on onto my page
    it gets underlined - denoting a compile error. For example, when I drag
    a script manager on to my page, the compile error states (NOTE: Before
    dragging the script manager control on the page, it compiled and ran
    w/o incident):

    Error 1 Element 'ScriptManager' is not a known element. This can occur
    if there is a compilation error in the Web site. C:\Documents and
    Settings\...ebSites\TaskList\TodoList.aspx 4 10 C:\...\TaskList\

    So, thinking my page was a problem, I created a sample ASP.NET AJAX
    page from
    http://ajax.asp.net/docs/ViewSample...gOverview#PartialPageRenderingOverviewCS.aspx
    and placed it on my local web server. When I navigated to my local
    page, I got the error (ERROR_01) attached at the end of this message.

    It appears that .NET has not found the DLLs in my "C:\Program
    Files\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Extensions\v1.0.61025\"
    folder. Here's a list of the ones that are there:
    AJAXExtensionsToolbox.dll
    Microsoft.Web.Extensions.Design.dll
    Microsoft.Web.Extensions.dll
    Microsoft.Web.Preview.dll

    I'm thinking that I've missed something simple... can anyone help?

    Thanks for you attention to this matter,
    celoftis

    <---------------------------------------ERROR_01
    BELOW----------------------------------------->
    Server Error in '/' Application.

    Parser Error
    required to service this request. Please review the following specific
    parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

    Parser Error Message: Could not load type
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.ScriptManager from assembly System.Web,
    Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a.

    Source Error:

    Line 16: <form id="form1" runat="server">
    Line 17: <div>
    Line 18: <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" />
    Line 19: <asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdatePanel1" runat="server">
    Line 20: <ContentTemplate>

    Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ASP.NET\AJAX\Updatepanel.aspx Line:

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032;
    ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032
    <---------------------------------------ERROR_01
    ABOVE----------------------------------------->

    celoftis, Nov 10, 2006

  2. Did you create your project from the Visual Studio ASP.NET AJAX project
    template? If so, it should create all the required references and
    web.config entries. Otherwise you'll have to add them manually.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr,

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Nov 10, 2006

  3. you should have created an ajax project, that adds/updates the web config
    to have the references to the ajax dlls.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\), Nov 10, 2006
  4. celoftis

    celoftis Guest

    Thanks for you quick responses!

    I created a "New Web Site" from the "ASP.NET AJAX CTP-Enabled Web Site"
    template. Shouldn't that get the correct reference to the
    "Microsoft.Web.Extensions.dll"?

    Being a newbie to this, how do I manually create the reference in
    "Web.config"?

    celoftis

    celoftis, Nov 10, 2006
  5. celoftis

    celoftis Guest

    More info...

    I went into my web site's "Class View" explorer, and expanded the
    "Project References" tree... both "Microsoft.Web.Extensions" and
    "\Microsoft.Web.Extensions.Design" are listed. I am able to drill down
    on "Microsoft.Web.UI.ScriptManager" and see all its methods and
    properties...but I am still getting the same compile error on the
    <asp:ScriptMananger... code

    Further, I see the following in my "Web.config":
    <compilation debug="true">
    <assemblies>
    <add assembly="Microsoft.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>
    <add assembly="Microsoft.Web.Extensions.Design, Version=1.0.61025.0,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/></assemblies>
    </compilation>

    Seems like the compiler isnt' able to read the DLLs or something...

    celoftis

    celoftis, Nov 10, 2006
  6. if you are running team studio, read the readme and follow directions,
    otherwise just add a reference to it like any other with the ide.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\), Nov 10, 2006
  7. celoftis

    celoftis Guest

    That didn't help...

    celoftis, Nov 11, 2006
  8. I wouldnt waste my time learning Ajax if I were you. It will all
    become obsolete very soon. Now that other "real" smart client internet
    apps can be created in better ways, like Adobe Flex, the mish-mash
    called Ajax will just be thrown away. Don't be led down the garden
    path by the MS idiots again, Ajax is destined to go the same way as VB
    6.0

    The Grand Master

    Master Programmer, Nov 16, 2006
  9. You may be right in the long term, but in the short and medium term AJAX is
    here to stay. And it wasn't the "MS idiots" that popularized AJAX, it was
    Google. Are they idiots too? A ton of web sites use AJAX in one form or
    another these days. Are they all idiots?
    AJAX is a good solution for now while other potentially better solutions
    mature.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr,

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Nov 16, 2006
  10. Re: Problems compiling/running ASP.NET AJAX sample pag ...

    To solve this problem you have to ensure to uninstall all ajax related components from your computer. Go to www.asp.net and download all the latest components. Then refererence your web application with the latest AjaxControlToolkit.dll

    ---
    Posted via DotNetSlackers.com

    hophachthanhlong, Nov 21, 2006
  11. Ajax.... Just another stupid name for another boring idea.

    The Master

    Master Programmer, Nov 21, 2006