problems creating web service project

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Guest, Mar 4, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi all, I have vs.net 2003 locally installed on my XP PRO machine. I have a
    web server on the LAN which has a website configured at http://services.
    This is accessible via my web browser and already has a web service (built
    using sdk and notepad) at http://services/services/services.asmx. Now I am
    trying to create a new web service "services2.asmx" in vs.net. I click on
    File-->New-->Project. Then select Asp.net Web Service under VB Projects. In
    the location I put http://services/services/services2.asmx. When I click OK
    it comes up with :

    The default access mode for this website is file share, but the project
    folder at http://services/services/services2.asmx cannot be opened with the
    path \\services\wwwroot$\services\services2.asmx. The error returned is UNC
    share does not exist or access denied.

    That particular website on the server is configured at c:\website
    files\services & the website files folder is shared. I am also logged on as
    a domain admin.

    So when I enter \\services\website files\services\services2.asmx. Still no
    luck.

    Any ideas?

    TIA!
    Guest, Mar 4, 2005

  2. Hi,

    We have reviewed this issue and are currently researching on it. We will
    update you ASAP. Thanks for your patience!

    Kevin Yu
    =======
    rights."
    Kevin Yu [MSFT], Mar 5, 2005

  3. Hi Param,

    From your description, when you're trying to create a ASP.NET webservice
    project in IIS through the VS.NET ide, you're getting the error indicate
    that the UNC share path of the website dosn't exist , yes?

    Based on my experience, it seems that what you encountered is an existing
    problem of the VS.NET when creating web project in IIS. The VS.NET (2003)
    support two mode of creating web project,:
    FileShare and FrontPage Server Extension.

    1. By defaut, it use the FileShare which will always assume that the site's
    UNCSHARE path is the
    \\servernname\wwwroot$ no matter what your default site(in IIS)'s actual
    home dir location. That's why you get the error. (Do you also see the
    dialog poped up to let you manually sepecify the path?) You can manually
    select the correct location of your site(or the virtual dir) in the
    prompted dialog , can create the project.

    2. If you have configured your IIS server for FPSE, then we can instead
    using PFSE mode to create the webproject. Under this mode, the VS.NET won't
    assmue any UNCSHARE location, but will locate the virutal dir's location
    from the http url we specified when creating the project ( retrieve site's
    home dir location from IIS through the url).

    You can consider which one is more suitable for your condition. If there is
    anything else unclear, please feel free to post here. Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)