problems creating web service project

Guest

Hi all, I have vs.net 2003 locally installed on my XP PRO machine. I have a
web server on the LAN which has a website configured at http://services.
This is accessible via my web browser and already has a web service (built
using sdk and notepad) at http://services/services/services.asmx. Now I am
trying to create a new web service "services2.asmx" in vs.net. I click on
File-->New-->Project. Then select Asp.net Web Service under VB Projects. In
the location I put http://services/services/services2.asmx. When I click OK
it comes up with :

The default access mode for this website is file share, but the project
folder at http://services/services/services2.asmx cannot be opened with the
path \\services\wwwroot$\services\services2.asmx. The error returned is UNC
share does not exist or access denied.

That particular website on the server is configured at c:\website
files\services & the website files folder is shared. I am also logged on as
a domain admin.

So when I enter \\services\website files\services\services2.asmx. Still no
luck.

Any ideas?

TIA!

Kevin Yu [MSFT]

Hi,

We have reviewed this issue and are currently researching on it. We will
update you ASAP. Thanks for your patience!

Kevin Yu
=======
rights."

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Param,

From your description, when you're trying to create a ASP.NET webservice
project in IIS through the VS.NET ide, you're getting the error indicate
that the UNC share path of the website dosn't exist , yes?

Based on my experience, it seems that what you encountered is an existing
problem of the VS.NET when creating web project in IIS. The VS.NET (2003)
support two mode of creating web project,:
FileShare and FrontPage Server Extension.

1. By defaut, it use the FileShare which will always assume that the site's
UNCSHARE path is the
\\servernname\wwwroot$ no matter what your default site(in IIS)'s actual
home dir location. That's why you get the error. (Do you also see the
dialog poped up to let you manually sepecify the path?) You can manually
select the correct location of your site(or the virtual dir) in the
prompted dialog , can create the project.

2. If you have configured your IIS server for FPSE, then we can instead
using PFSE mode to create the webproject. Under this mode, the VS.NET won't
assmue any UNCSHARE location, but will locate the virutal dir's location
from the http url we specified when creating the project ( retrieve site's
home dir location from IIS through the url).

You can consider which one is more suitable for your condition. If there is
anything else unclear, please feel free to post here. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)