Problems deploying web site with Membership features from XP to 2003

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Sam Samson, Oct 10, 2007.

  1. Sam Samson

    Sam Samson Guest

    Greetings all,

    I have a developed a an ASP.NET 2.0 application on my local (XP) dev box
    and am trying to make use of the 2.0 membership features.

    I have my protected directory set up have added some users through the IDE
    (VS2005, website->asp.net configuration)
    dropped in my asp:login control set the properties etc etc.

    And all works fine on my dev box.

    However when I "publish" it to my 2003 deployment server I cannot login ("Your
    login attempt was not successful. Please try again").

    After an exhausting search I found some blogs that seem to describe the problem
    but I cannot get the solution to work so I am missing something crucial.
    Most blogs talk about giving the web-site and application name. I assume
    they mean via the IIS management snapin in control panel.
    This I have done I choose properties on my web site and under the 'directory
    tab' I give it an application name of "grizzly"
    Further in these blogs they talk about that application name appearing in
    the table aspnet_applications, applicationName ... however mine stays put
    as "/"

    Other blogs mention this is the default and preferred ...

    either way I am utterly confused and my security fails ... the windows application
    logs on the 2003 server are filled with "membership credential verification
    failure"

    I tried to add more users on the 2003 machine in the same way as I did on
    the dev box (VS2005, website->asp.net configuration) but I cant find an equivelent
    tool ... clicking on the frontpage extensions button brings up a series of
    admin pages that look similiar but this is just stabbing in the dark now.

    How does one setup so I can create my asp application and when its ready
    simply publish it to 2003 and the security will be in place.
    Walkthroughs aimed at muppets are good .. any starting points actually I'm
    chasing my tail.

    Cheers Sam.
    [Sam Samson] - There is no greater folly than fixed price quoting.
    Sam Samson, Oct 10, 2007