Problems deploying website with membership features from XP to 2003 (take2)

Sam Samson

greetings all, (again blasted newsreader killed my initial epic, email post
numero 2)

I have a dev box(XP) that I am developing an ASP.NET 2.0 application .. am
trying to use membership features .. have set up my local box secured a
directory dropped in an ASP:LOGIN web control added some users set all the
right properties and I have a nicely login secured web app that runs just
dandy on my dev box.

However when I try to deploy to my 2003 server all looks fine but I cannot
log in "Your login attempt was not successful. Please try again."

A blog search has people talking about naming the application .. so using
the IIS management snap-in I have given my web site an application name ("grizzly")..
the blogs say this should be reflected in the ASPNETDB, aspnet_applications,
applicationName .. however this applicationName remains "/" instead of "grizzly"
which is what I named the web application. And to make things even more confusing
some blogs say this is the desirable behaviour.

I am now lost as what to do next.
I tried to add users and set security on my directory on the 2003 machine
but can't find an equivalent tool like the one under VS2005 website asp.net
configuration .. and dont know if this is even the way to do it.

The 2003 server windows event logs are full of "Membership credential failures"
but the fact that I dont get a screen full of stacktrace makes me think it
can at least see the ASPDBNET database nestled away in the App_data directory

Now I'm quite stuck and looking for a push in the right direction ... it
certainly looks like I should be able to create my site on my dev box and
simply publish it to the 2003 server

Is there a "complete and utter idiots guide" to setting up this kind of website
publishing

Howard Hoffman

I believe you can specify 'ApplicationName' in web.config in the Providers
<add> element. Did you try that?

HTH,

Howard Hoffman

Sam Samson

Hello Howard,

I tried adding this by copying this from machine.config to web.config which
has applicationName="/" field in it
<membership>
<providers>
<add name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider"
type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web,
Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
connectionStringName="LocalSqlServer"
enablePasswordRetrieval="false"
enablePasswordReset="true"
requiresQuestionAndAnswer="true"
applicationName="/"
requiresUniqueEmail="false"
passwordFormat="Hashed"
maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5"
minRequiredPasswordLength="7"
minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0"
passwordAttemptWindow="10"
passwordStrengthRegularExpression="" />
</providers>
</membership>

knowing that sometimes you can overide whats in the config files with whats
in the web.config ... again on my Dev box it all works fine but on 2003 it
spits back

Parser Error Message: The entry 'AspNetSqlMembershipProvider' has already
been added.

Source Error:

Line 24: <membership>
Line 25: <providers>
Line 26: <add name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider"
Line 27: type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web,
Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
Line 28: connectionStringName="LocalSqlServer"

so I'm guessing it doesnt overide like I thought ...
And I'm thinking if I change the applicationName in machine.config then I
will only ever be able to have the one web app ... also the website application
name in the IIS managment snap in (properties) is blank, the application
name in ASPNETDB is / and the current Appname in the 2003 machine.config
providers section is "/" .. I thought this was ok ..

Still lost :-(

Sam Samson

I managed to get a little further ...

in my web.config I was missing the <clear/> tag that solved the Parser Error
Message: still could not successfully log on a user .. further blog readings
gave me the hint to ensure that the mssql2005.. user account had persmissions
in the directory where APSNETDB sat.

Everything worked fine then .. until I changed the port number that the website
listens on .. and now nothing I seem to to do will allow me to authenticate
a user.

I set the access on the directory to allow all users and that part seems
to work (no more redirection to login.aspx) but it will not recognise the