problems deploying with VisualStudio.net 2002 - setup project dotNetfxredist

jason

Hello all.

I'm having problems deploying a windows console solution with
VisualStudio.net 2002

I've been testing out and learning .net at home with an Academic
version of vs 2002.

One of the training books I have walks me through process of
deployment. But things on my version look different and i've run into
errors. Starting to wonder if the Academic version is the problem or
perhaps v2002. Other threads suggest v2002 may need to be patched, but
all the different posts/suggests are a bit confusing.

First thing I noticed is that my setup project's CLR ( dotnetfxredis)
was not defaulting to exclude = false (as the book said would), it was
set to true. And mscorlib.dll file was not under it in my setup
project like the books.

If I set dotnetfxredst to exclude = false and attempt to build I get :

dotNETFXRedist_x86_enu.msm must not be used to redistribute the .NET
Framework.
Please exclude this merge module

Does anybody know will the Academic version let me deploy? If yes, is
this a known v2002 issues?

In simple terms, how do I fix this issue? and since I'm looking to
upgrade anyways, will v2003 not have this problem.

Many thanks for *any* help or information.

Norman Yuan

It is not because of your vewsion of VS.NET. The
"dotNETFXRRedist_x86_enu.msm" in Setup project is simply a place holder.
The .NET Framework cannot be included in a Windows Installer setup package
that is created by using VS.NET deployment tools. It must be installed
seperately, or you can use .NET Framework bootstrapper "setup.exe" to check
whether the Framework is installed or not and install it if not. MS provides
a sample bootstrapper setup.exe that you can use in project. See the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6850000A&freetext=bootstrapper&DisplayLang=en

jason

Thank you for responding.

I'm not clear on the bootstrapper. I download the sample and it has
two files -

settings.ini
setup.exe

What am I suppose to do with these files? How do I add them to my
simple project so that my solution can be deployed on and win box that
does not have .net.

Thanks again.

Norman Yuan

Asume your Setup project is called MySetup. You do:

1. Open MySetup project in VS.NET, and in Solution Explorer, right click
MySetup project, select "Properties", change Bootstrapper option to "None".
So, when you build MySetup, VS.NET will not create "Setup.exe" and
"Setup.ini" files. Build MySetup project. You will get "MySetup.msi" plus
other necessary files in bin\Release folder

2. Copy the cownloaded bootstrapper "setup.exe" and "setup.ini" into
bin\Release;

3. Open 'setup.ini" in a text editor and change its content as following

[Bootstrap]
Msi=MySetup.msi
'LanguageDirectory=jpn
'ProductName=testproductname
'DialogText=
'CaptionText=
'ErrorCaptionText=
FxInstallerPath=d:\dotNetFramework

The value "d:\dotNetFramework" is the path where you store the .NET
Framework redistributable file (dotnetfx.exe).

Now, when you start installation of your package by double-click
"Setup.exe", it will test whether dotnet framework is available or not, and
if not, it uses the path specified in setup.ini to install the framework
first before starting MySetup.msi.

HTH