Problems getting Tkinter to work while installing python as non-root

jose flanigan

I don't have root access, but managed to install Tcl/Tk in my local
directory. I've also managed to install python 2.2 in my local
directory. The problem is that for some reason Tkinter isn't working.
I've looked through the various messages in the python installation
and it seems like part of the installation is trying to write
something to a directory that I don't have write-permission to I think
this might be causing the problem.

Is there a way around this? I need to set up a purely non-root
installation.

Thanks in advance.