problems hosting my own website

boston_code_monkey

I am attempting to host my own website, but have run into several
obstacles.
Due to the limited traffic I receive, I assumed I could use my dsl
connection and win2k server to host my site.

Obstacles:
My ISP (verizon) blocks port 80 so my windows http webserver listens on
port 8183
I don't have a specific(static) IP for my website
e-commerce due to the high cost of a security certificate from verisign

my website url is listed as an ip instead of a "alpha" url which I
worry may alarm customers/clients

scripts break since my ip and url do not match (since my ip gets
updated frequently)

wORKAROUNDS:

I'm using no-ip to host the dns entries for my dot com
thus all queries for my dot com get forwared to no-ip.com which then
forwards them to:
http://myip:8183

I configured all requests for my alternate web port on my router to be
forwarded specifically to my webserver pc on my local network

I use the masking option @ no-ip to substitute my httP://ip with
http://www.*.com

I use paypal for all eccommerce transactions.

Are there any good articles/books on doing this? Not just the web
server and web page design aspects, but ISP cost, dns, etc

I want to host my site so I can have the flexibilty of 24/7 access and
choosing my infrastructure and tools etc

hywel.jenkins

boston_code_monkey said:
I am attempting to host my own website, but have run into several
obstacles.
Due to the limited traffic I receive, I assumed I could use my dsl
connection and win2k server to host my site.
Obstacles:
My ISP (verizon) blocks port 80 so my windows http webserver listens on
port 8183
I don't have a specific(static) IP for my website
e-commerce due to the high cost of a security certificate from verisign

Eh? I guess your ecommerce isn't that important, then. What if your
cable connection drops? http://www.freessl.org/

my website url is listed as an ip instead of a "alpha" url which I
worry may alarm customers/clients

Do you have any customers/clients, then?

scripts break since my ip and url do not match (since my ip gets
updated frequently)

Don't hard-code that stuff.

wORKAROUNDS:

I'm using no-ip to host the dns entries for my dot com
thus all queries for my dot com get forwared to no-ip.com which then
forwards them to:
http://myip:8183

I configured all requests for my alternate web port on my router to be
forwarded specifically to my webserver pc on my local network

I use the masking option @ no-ip to substitute my httP://ip with
http://www.*.com

I use paypal for all eccommerce transactions.

So, you don't need SSL. PayPal handles that for you.

http://www.google.com/

I want to host my site so I can have the flexibilty of 24/7 access and
choosing my infrastructure and tools etc

Find a proper host and do it properly. With the variety of low-cost
hosting there's no excuse for trying to run ecommerce sites in this
way.