problems in placing an ASP.NET page on a website

Logan

Hi,

I am not a very experienced asp.net developer, but have a fair idea on how
it works & better idea on vb.net.
My requirement is to place an asp.net page on a website - which currently
has asp & html pages (not asp.net) - but this server has asp.net installed
on it (.NET run time files).

I can only access this server by uploading files to it via an ftp program.
i created a very simple asp.net project (hello world) - to display a lable
with reads "hello world",
& i placed ALL the files on the root directory of the webfolder (where the
current asp & html files reside).

When i try to browse to the webform1.aspx page, i get the below error,
Runtime Error
error settings for this application prevent the details of the application
error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however,
be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable
on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config"
configuration file located in the root directory of the current web
application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute
set to "Off".

i tried various things,
(1) i tried to change the web.config & set mode = "off" - but no good
(2) i tried to change the web.config & set mode = "on" - but no good
(3) i tried to change the web.config & set mode = "on" & include
defaultredirect="error.htm" (where in error.htm - i just display a message
saying "error in the page" - that is all).

but still i get the same error.

what do i need to do to be able to view this very simple aspx page.
i know i am doing somthing wrong, because i am just uploading my local files
to the web - there may be some thing taht i need to do before i copy them
across.

please can someone help me?

hoping for a solution,
logan

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

Logan ..
after setting the mode to Off..
Did you recompile the page before viwing it again???
Patrick

Scott Allen

Can you check the event log on the server?

When you had mode="Off" did you have a more detailed error msg?

Juan T. Llibre

Being that it's a sample page,
can you post the source code ?

Maybe it's a simple thing which you have overlooked,
and which can be seen by someone else.

Sometimes we are not the best reviewers of our own code.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
===========

Logan

sorry, no can do - no access for this.

Scott Allen said:
Can you check the event log on the server?

When you had mode="Off" did you have a more detailed error msg?

Logan

will do as request - cuz all that i added was a label control into the
webform1.aspx page.
(now that i've mentioned the above, do u still want me to email it to u?).

Logan

okay, as an attachment or just the contents of a particular file?
thanx for your support

Juan T. Llibre

Post the complete text of the source file here like, for example :

version.aspx:
--------------
<%@ Page Language="VB" %>
<head>
</head>
<%
Response.Write(System.Environment.Version.ToString())
%>
--------------

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
===========

Juan T. Llibre

Logan,

please fix either your system clock
or your time zone setting.

You posted this message this afternoon.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
===========

Logan

<%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" Codebehind="WebForm1.aspx.vb"
Inherits="WebApplication1.WebForm1"%>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<title>WebForm1</title>
</HEAD>
<asp:Label id="Label1" style="Z-INDEX: 102; LEFT: 80px; POSITION:
absolute; TOP: 72px" runat="server"
Width="208px" Height="48px">Hello World</asp:Label>
</form>
</HTML>

Logan

Please accept my sincerest apologies my friends,
the problem has been resolved.

I learnt that the webhosting guys have disabled running of ASP.NET files on
the server (contract agreement - & i would need to go for an upgrade in my
contract to get the facility to run ASP.NET files).

btw, how can the afore be done??

Once again, I am sorry for wasting everyones time on this. (but the above
still bugs me - how can the above be done?? - to disable the asp.net files
from running on the server)