problems in uploading asp.net website!!

Erland

Hi all,

I have developed an asp.net( 1.1) website using vb.net and Microsoft
Access and my hosting company does support asp.net1.1. Now I've FTP'd
the website , but whenever i try to access the website using
www.domainname.com/application_folder_name/index.aspx ( where
index.aspx is first page of my application)
I get the following error
-----------------------------
Runtime Error
custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the
application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It
could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server
machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be
viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within
a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the
current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its
"mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a
custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the
application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom
error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly"
defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

-------------------------------------

Any insight or comments will be highly appreciated. I have also
searched google and unfortunately I don't want to either use XCOPY or
web setup method. I am in a situation where I have to manually upload
the asp.net website, but I keep getting above error.
Any insight or suggestions will be appreciated. I appreciate your time
and help in advance.

Thanks,
Erland

Frank Lehmann

Hi Erland,

I would start the browser that's on the local server machine and run
the application from there, as recommended in the runtime error
description. The local execution of a web application gives you a detailed
error page which should help you along in finding the cause of the error.
If you haven't access to the server yourself, then ask the server's admin
to do it and that he/she should send the error page to you.

All other recommendations how to configure the web.config so that
the client browser shows detailed app errors has never been my approach
since it should normally not expose such internals, and it was always quicker
to directly run the app once on the server.

Regards
Frank

gader