Problems Installing 5.8.7

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Degz, Nov 10, 2005.

  1. Degz

    Degz Guest

    Hi,

    I'm trying to 5.8.7. I currently have installed Perl 5.004_05.

    Looking at the install file, I am following the default route.

    rm -f config.sh Policy.sh
    sh Configure -de
    make
    make test
    make install

    However when I do a make test, i have 1 test failing (Constant.t)

    If I go into the t/ directory and run it manually it looks as though I
    have something missing ? as I get the following response. ( plus
    others further down, i'm guessing because of the initial error )

    ok 4 # This is dynamic linking, so no need to make perl
    # make = 'make test'
    Can't load 'blib/arch/auto/ExtTest/ExtTest.so' for module ExtTest:
    dynamic linke
    r: /usr/bin/perl: relocation error: symbol not found: PL_stack_sp;
    referenced fr
    om: blib/arch/auto/ExtTest/ExtTest.so
    at test.pl line 2
    Compilation failed in require at test.pl line 2.

    Has anyone got any idea what this means and how i resolve it please.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Degz.

    Degz
    Nov 9, 3:03 pm show options

    Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
    From: "Degz" <> - Find messages by this author

    Date: 9 Nov 2005 07:03:39 -0800
    Subject: Problems Installing perl 5.8.7
    original | Remove | Report Abuse

[...]

    Brian McCauley
    Nov 9, 7:23 pm show options

    Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
    From: Brian McCauley <> - Find messages by this author
    Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 19:23:28 +0000
    Subject: Re: Problems Installing perl 5.8.7
    original | Report Abuse

    Degz wrote:
    > I'm trying to 5.8.7. I currently have installed Perl 5.004_05.

    > Looking at the install file, I am following the default route.

    > rm -f config.sh Policy.sh
    > sh Configure -de
    > make
    > make test
    > make install

    > However when I do a make test, i have 1 test failing (Constant.t)

    > If I go into the t/ directory and run it manually it looks as though I
    > have something missing ? as I get the following response. ( plus
    > others further down, i'm guessing because of the initial error )

    > ok 4 # This is dynamic linking, so no need to make perl
    > # make = 'make test'
    > Can't load 'blib/arch/auto/ExtTest/ExtTest.so' for module ExtTest:
    > dynamic linke
    > r: /usr/bin/perl: relocation error: symbol not found: PL_stack_sp;
    > referenced fr
    > om: blib/arch/auto/ExtTest/ExtTest.so
    > at test.pl line 2
    > Compilation failed in require at test.pl line 2.

    It looks to me like you are trying to run part of 5.8.7 built test
    suite
    using /usr/bin/perl (i.e. versoin 5.004_05).

    Try running it explicitly with the just built 5.8.7.

    Hi,

    Sorry to be thick, how do I explicitly call 5.8.7

    I executed the failed test with a ./Constant.t

    Are we saying that has called perl 5.004 somehow ?

    Thanks

    Degz, Nov 10, 2005