Problems installing Python 2.3 with Tkinter linked to Tcl/Tk 8.4

Discussion in 'Python' started by Adelein and Jeremy, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. I have just installed Python 2.3.3, after first installing Tcl/Tk
    8.4.6.

    After successful installation of Tcl/Tk (including passing configure
    the '--enable-shared' option), and testing both Tcl and Tk, I
    unpacked Python2.3 and began a frustrating installation. After
    standard configuration, make told me it was renaming module _tkinter
    because the module was not found (sorry I am omitting the exact
    warning message) - I don't understand that completely, but that was
    what it said. So I then edited the Setup file in Python2.3/Modules/
    so that it would 1) include _tkinter, 2) look for tkinter in
    /usr/local/lib, 3) look for tk.h in /usr/local/include, 4) find X11,
    and 5) look for libtk8.4 and libtcl8.4.

    So I went through make and it told me that libtk8.4.so could not be
    opened. The file existed with read and execute privileges for all in
    /usr/local/lib, so I was perplexed.

    I then found a single helpful explanation (among many completely
    misleading ones) at
    http://www.talkaboutprogramming.com/group/comp.lang.python/messages/290343.html
    (which is for Fedora, but works well with RH 8.0.

    However, upon having written the script that it suggests, and
    deleting the /usr/local/bin/python, I realized that idle was broken.
    Also, scripts could not be executed with the sh-bang line at top if
    written for Python 2.3. So I moved python2.3 over to python again,
    and realized that idle still wouldn't work because Python will not
    look for Tcl/Tk where it installs by default.

    Is there a better solution than the one I followed? If not, is there
    a plan for generalizing the Python Tkinter installation so that it
    will look for Tcl/Tk instead of assuming that it knows where it is? I
    found it messy enough having to deal with multiple Python
    installations due to RedHat's reliance on old versions, and this is
    simply a show-stopper when it comes to recommending Python to others.

    I have to wonder if I am doing something very wrong, but I have no
    idea where my mistake would be. If nothing else, others with this
    problem may see this post and at least have a temporary fix.

    - Jeremy

    Adelein and Jeremy, Apr 29, 2004