Problems installing rails

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Jens Riedel, Nov 18, 2005.

  1. Jens Riedel

    Jens Riedel Guest

    Hello,

    I'm just trying to install the rails framework on my Windows XP system
    and have some problems at the start:

    According to the tutorial I open my command prompt and enter the following:

    gem install rails --remote

    The first columns I receive are o.k.:

    ---
    D:\ruby>"d:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "d:\ruby\bin\gem" install rails --remote
    Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
    ---

    Then I would expect the question if I'd like to install the various
    dependencies, but instead I get the following (after a long period of
    waiting):

    ---
    Successfully installed rails_analyzer_tools, version 1.1.0
    Installing RDoc documentation for rails_analyzer_tools-1.1.0...
    ---

    All new files I can find after this are rails_stat and rails_stat.cmd in
    the ruby/bin directory.

    Ruby itself seems to be installed correctly, I used the
    one-click-installer and am working with Ruby since several months, all
    scripts are working properly.

    How can I install Rails correct?

    Thanks for hints,
    Jens
    Jens Riedel, Nov 18, 2005

  2. On 11/18/05, Jens Riedel <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm just trying to install the rails framework on my Windows XP system
    > and have some problems at the start:
    >
    > According to the tutorial I open my command prompt and enter the followin=

    g:

    > gem install rails --remote

    You need to tell gems explicitly to include the dependencies:

    gem install rails --remote --include-dependencies

    Regards,

    Sean
    Sean O'Halpin, Nov 18, 2005

  3. Jens Riedel

    Jens Riedel Guest

    Hi Sean,

    Sean O'Halpin wrote:

    > You need to tell gems explicitly to include the dependencies:
    >
    > gem install rails --remote --include-dependencies

    That was my first try was (according to another tutorial)...

    The result was:

    D:\ruby>"d:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "d:\ruby\bin\gem" install rails --remote
    --include-dependencies

    ERROR: While executing gem ... (OptionParser::InvalidOption)
    invalid option: --include-dependencies

    Now I just checked my gem version and it seems it was to old (0.8.3),
    tutorial required 0.8.11 or higher.

    Now installation works, many thanks!

    Regards,
    Jens

    --
    Der Kluegere gibt nach - Eine traurige Wahrheit:
    sie begruendet die Weltherrschaft der Dummen.
    Jens Riedel, Nov 18, 2005