Problems MS Access database files and ASP.NET 2.0

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Richard Finnigan, Jul 27, 2006.

  1. Hi

    I'm having real difficulties getting a very simple access database file to
    show its data in visual studio data controls with various error messages
    occuring. I've changed the permissions on the app_data folder for NETWORK
    SERVICE.

    Inserting a record seems to be particularly difficult though reading from an
    Access database seems to be possible at the moment. I've done the obvious
    things like using the Advanced SQL Generation options and putting in a
    primary key field into the Access database table.

    I've been using Visual Web Developer though I will soon be switching to
    Visual Studio.

    Is it actually advisable or possible to use MS Access database files in this
    environment ?

    Any useful advice would be gratefully recieved.
    --
    Richard Finnigan
    Work Website http://www.ict-action.com
    Richard Finnigan, Jul 27, 2006

  2. It is possible to use MS Access, but with SQLEXPRESS being a free download
    and offering basically the entire SQL Server 2005 engine including CLR-hosted
    assemblies and Reporting Services, I find it difficult to imagine scenarios
    where it would make sense any longer. If what you need is a very simple,
    lightweight, zero-install database, look into SQLite.
    Peter

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog:
    http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Jul 27, 2006

  3. "Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > It is possible to use MS Access, but with SQLEXPRESS being a free download
    > and offering basically the entire SQL Server 2005 engine including
    > CLR-hosted
    > assemblies and Reporting Services, I find it difficult to imagine
    > scenarios
    > where it would make sense any longer. If what you need is a very simple,
    > lightweight, zero-install database, look into SQLite.
    > Peter

    Thanks for the advice RF
    Richard Finnigan, Jul 27, 2006
  4. Richard Finnigan

    Mike Lowery Guest

    "Richard Finnigan" <> wrote in message

    > "Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >> It is possible to use MS Access, but with SQLEXPRESS being a free download
    >> and offering basically the entire SQL Server 2005 engine including CLR-hosted
    >> assemblies and Reporting Services, I find it difficult to imagine scenarios
    >> where it would make sense any longer. If what you need is a very simple,
    >> lightweight, zero-install database, look into SQLite.
    >> Peter
    >>

    > Thanks for the advice RF

    If you're considering DB options, check out mySQL as well. Full blown DBMS
    (unlike SQLite) and free:
    http://www.mysql.com/
    Mike Lowery, Jul 27, 2006
  5. Mike,
    With all respect, if somebody is using the .NET Platform and SQLExpress is
    free, what rationale would they possibly have for MySql? Does it have
    Reporting Services and FullText search? Can you write SQL CLR stored
    procedures in it? Have you looked at some test scenarios as to relative query
    performance with stored procedures?

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Jul 29, 2006
  6. Richard Finnigan

    blaplante

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    I experienced similar symptoms: Using MSAccess 2003 & ASP.Net 2005 w/ C#. After several hours of reading posts, verifying directory & file permissions, table primary keys, etc.,
    I discovered that the application can update the database when run as a file based web from within Visual Studio (Web Developer), but not when it runs as a web-based application. That is, it runs when I open C:\inetpub\wwwroot\myweb , but it doesn't run when I open it as http://localhost/myweb .

    Problem is RESOLVED for me. It turns out, I couldn't change the security previously because I wasn't seeing the REAL security tab.
    See: http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/aspfaqs/ShowFAQ.asp?FAQID=107
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
    blaplante, Aug 6, 2006