Problems opening asp.net page with https

Joao Augusto

hi,

what should I configure in the IIS 6.0 to make my asp.net page being opened
only under https?

I created a certificate for test using the SelfSSL utility.
SelfSSL /v:180 (expiraton date for 180 days)

Then I installed in the IIS6 and all ok. I went to IIS and right click the
page and set the flag to use https.
Now, I can open the page using https://localhost/mypage.aspx but I can not
do this if I type https://www.mydomain.com/mypage.aspx
Any setting I must verify in the IIS?

Thanks
Joao

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

the common name in the certificate must match the DNS name that is used to
access the server.

Otherwise you will get an security warning -

remember that SSL is an authentication protocol - and the identity information
of the server is its common name - so the browser checks

common name = server name in my URL textbox

you when you request a cert, you have to choose the name that will be used
later to access the server

Joao Augusto

ok.
but then how do I make my selfssl generated certificate work in my live
environment? afterall, the visitors do not know my machine name, but my
domain name.
please do not concern about security implications, I know there are some by
doing this. I just need to know how to set up my selfssl in my live
webserver

any ideas?