Problems, problems for newbie

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Shelly, Sep 2, 2007.

  1. Shelly

    Shelly Guest

    I'm getting very frustrated with a number of problems I have encountered in
    my first application. Any and all help will be appreciated.

    I have a master page called Managing.master with the vb in
    Managing.master.vb.

    The first lines of Managing.master are:
    <%@ Master Language="VB" Codefile="Managing.master.vb" Inherits="MasterPage"
    %>
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "~//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN

    The file Managing.master.vb has:
    Partial Class Managing
    Inherits System.Web.UI.MasterPage
    End Class

    My specific file is orders.aspx and it starts with:

    <%@ Page Language="VB" MasterFilePage="~Managing.master"
    AutoEventWireup="false" Codefile="order.aspx.vb" Inherits="manage_order"
    title="Untitled Page" %>

    Note that the order.aspx files are in a subdirectory called "manage".

    I have a stylesheet called style.css. It looks perfect and I created it
    with the Web Developer UI.

    OK, here are the problems:

    1 - With the css, it finds some of the classes but not all. If I cut and
    paste a bunch of them to a different part of the file, it stops seeing a
    bunch it already saw. If I edit undo a couple of time to restore the
    original, it still cannot find those classes.

    2 - I am getting errors from Managing.master.vb(2); error ASPNET: Make sure
    that the class defined in this code file matches the 'inherits' attribute;
    and that it extends the correct base class.

    3 - 'Context' is not a member of 'MasterPage'.

    4 - 'ReadStringResource' is not a member of 'ASP.managing.master';

    5 - 'ContentPlaceholders' is not a member of 'ASP.managing.master';

    6 - 'ContentTemplates' is not a member of 'ASP.managing.master';

    Note that I created the Master Page using the MasterPage option in FileNew
    and I create the orders file with the Web file choice in File/New.

    Help, please?

    Shelly

    Shelly, Sep 2, 2007

  2. Shelly

    Shelly Guest

    I found the fix that made all these problems go away. For some reason the
    orders.master.vb had an Inherits of managing_order, whereas the
    orders.master had one of manage_order. I don't know how this happened, but
    changing it to match with manage_order made it all compile with no errors.
    Thanks anyway.

    Shelly

    Shelly, Sep 3, 2007