Problems running ASP pages after server rebuild

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Mrpush, Aug 22, 2006.

  1. Mrpush

    Mrpush Guest

    Hello,

    Have MS 2003 server with IIS 6.0 installed. ASP.net is also
    installed.

    Had to re-install the server after initial configuration by someone who left
    the company and now I cannot get the ASP pages to load.

    The files all existed in a NON-INETPUB folder and accessed a SQL database to
    pull information.

    I get a 500 error when trying to access http://localhost.

    I set the home directory to the default web site to point to my folder
    contain my default.asp page, but it does not work.

    I get error like this:

    [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default
    driver specified

    /connections/dbConnect.asp, line 5

    Also, don't know why, but I do not get an ASP.net tab in the properties
    window???

    On another server, that TAB is there and show a path to a web.config file???

    Any assistance would be great,

    Thanks!

    MP
    Mrpush, Aug 22, 2006

  2. Is the application using a DSN that isn't setup as a system DSN perhaps? Do
    you have a developer there who can look at the code?

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Aug 23, 2006

  3. Mrpush

    Mrpush Guest

    Ray,

    There is no programmer here anymore, but I am able to review code, if I know
    where to look. Where is the DSN info or code held? How to review or edit it?

    I'm guessing there is just path or login info that is no longer correct and
    needs tweaked.

    I'll have a go if I know where to look.

    Thanks,

    MP

    Mrpush, Aug 23, 2006
  4. If the code is using a DSN to connect to the database server, you'll see a
    line that looks something like this:

    "DSN=myDsn;Uid=username;Pwd=;" (http://www.connectionstrings.com/)

    There needs to be a corresponding entry in the ODBC Administrator
    (%windir%\system32\odbccp32.cpl) as a SYSTEM DSN.

    Your best bet may be to have a programmer if you have custom programming in
    your company.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Aug 23, 2006
  5. Mrpush

    Mrpush Guest

    Ray,

    In IIS I have created a website called "Inventory" the set the HOME
    DIRECTORY Path to my Inventory folder on my C: drive that contain the
    DEFAULT.ASP and other pages, graphics, etc that worked fine prior to
    re-building this server.

    I then created a VIRTUAL DIRECTORY named "INVENTORY" under this web site and
    set its LOCAL PATH to the same folder as above.

    Next, I just setup the ODBC DSN. I set one USER and one SYSTEM DSN that
    point to my SQL INVENTORY database that is alive and running on my SQL box.
    Test run successfully. I used NT AUTHENTICATION in both DSN's, and set on
    to (local) and one to the server name (ZSQL).

    I gave full permissions to EVERYONE for all folders and files involved.

    I get 500 errors when trying to access http://localhost

    I can acccess http://loclhost/default.html when I stick a dumb default.html
    in the directory.

    I get HTTP 500 when I try to access http://loclhost/default.asp

    Not sure why the ASP page will not work.

    Begining of Default.asp looks like this:

    <%@ language="vbscript" %>
    <!-- #include virtual="connections/invdb.asp"-->
    <%
    dim ddrs, ddUs, ddKey, prKey, ddmenu, osMenu, stMenu, op
    Set ddrs = CreateObject ("ADODB.Recordset")
    ddSQL = "SELECT distinct Location FROM VwNetEquip "
    ddrs.Open ddSQL, Conn

    Set ddUs = CreateObject ("ADODB.Recordset")
    uSSQL = "SELECT distinct UserName FROM Vwhardware "
    ddUs.Open UsSQL, Conn

    Begining of " connections/invdb.asp"look lik this:

    <%
    DIM Conn
    Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    Conn.ConnectionString = "DSN=inventory"
    Conn.Open
    %>

    Any ideas where I'm goin wrong?

    Thanks much,

    MP

    Mrpush, Aug 23, 2006
  6. Mrpush

    Mrpush Guest

    Ray,

    I get this:

    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e4d'

    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user
    'ZSQL\IUSR_ZSQL'.

    /connections/dbConnect.asp, line 5

    when I try to access the asp page via
    http://servername/foldername/default.asp in my browser.

    I do not have USER NAME & PASSWORD lines in my code for DSN entries.

    Is there some way to grant all user access and skip adding this info in the
    code of my ASP pages so I can see it it works?

    Thanks much,

    MP

    Mrpush, Aug 23, 2006