Problems running on unix

doofus

Greetings All!

I am a relative newcomer to this group and I very much hope this request
is not out of place. If so, please do not hesitate to let me know.

I wonder whether there would be amongst you a unix or linux user kind
enough to try running my code. Right now, I only have access to Windows
2000, on which it runs perfectly well. I am told it gives the error
'cannot resolve symbol "outputarea"' on unix. This I find puzzling
because the precise symbol "outputarea" does not occur anywhere in my
java source.

I would be most grateful if someone would, in the first instance, simply
attempt to try running the class files to see if they run.

I have placed both the source and class files in a zip file on my
webspace. In an effort to make it easier I have also uploaded the files
in .tar.gz format.

http://homepages.lobstermail.co.uk/longusername/Lab6.zip
http://homepages.lobstermail.co.uk/longusername/Lab6.tar.gz

To run the program, extract all the files into a single directory and
issue the following command from that directory.

java Lab6 numbers.txt

You can get an idea of what it should look like from the screenshot in
Lab6.gif.

Many thanks for your patience.

best, doofus

Nils O. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sel=E5sdal?=

Greetings All!

I am a relative newcomer to this group and I very much hope this request
is not out of place. If so, please do not hesitate to let me know.

I wonder whether there would be amongst you a unix or linux user kind
enough to try running my code. Right now, I only have access to Windows
2000, on which it runs perfectly well. I am told it gives the error
'cannot resolve symbol "outputarea"' on unix. This I find puzzling
because the precise symbol "outputarea" does not occur anywhere in my
java source.
He's perhaps using an old java version ?
I would be most grateful if someone would, in the first instance, simply
attempt to try running the class files to see if they run.

I have placed both the source and class files in a zip file on my
webspace. In an effort to make it easier I have also uploaded the files
in .tar.gz format.

http://homepages.lobstermail.co.uk/longusername/Lab6.zip
http://homepages.lobstermail.co.uk/longusername/Lab6.tar.gz

To run the program, extract all the files into a single directory and
issue the following command from that directory.

java Lab6 numbers.txt

You can get an idea of what it should look like from the screenshot in
Lab6.gif.
best, doofus
seems to run Ok here, RedHat Linux 8.0
The image doesn't look quite the same, see here:
http://utelsystems.dyndns.org/screenshot.jpg

I tested with
[noselasd@nos-rh tmp]$ java -version
java version "1.3.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build Blackdown-1.3.1-02b-FCS)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build Blackdown-1.3.1_02b-FCS, mixed mode)

and

[noselasd@nos-rh tmp]$ /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_01/bin/java -version
java version "1.4.2_01"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_01-b06)

doofus

Greetings Nils!
seems to run Ok here, RedHat Linux 8.0
The image doesn't look quite the same, see here:
http://utelsystems.dyndns.org/screenshot.jpg

I tested with
[noselasd@nos-rh tmp]$ java -version
java version "1.3.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build Blackdown-
1.3.1-02b-FCS) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build Blackdown-1.3.1_02b-
FCS, mixed mode)

and

[noselasd@nos-rh tmp]$ /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_01/bin/java -version
java version "1.4.2_01"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_01-b06)

I am most grateful to you for going to all that trouble. Your screenshot
provides me with the concrete proof I need that this program does run
outside of Windows and the details you provide on the *two* java
versions in which you tested are most helpful.

You have greatly narrowed the field on what might be causing the
problem.

I look forward to being able to return the favor some day.

Many thanks.