Problems running on unix

Discussion in 'Java' started by doofus, Oct 24, 2003.

  1. doofus

    doofus Guest

    Greetings All!

    I am a relative newcomer to this group and I very much hope this request
    is not out of place. If so, please do not hesitate to let me know.

    I wonder whether there would be amongst you a unix or linux user kind
    enough to try running my code. Right now, I only have access to Windows
    2000, on which it runs perfectly well. I am told it gives the error
    'cannot resolve symbol "outputarea"' on unix. This I find puzzling
    because the precise symbol "outputarea" does not occur anywhere in my
    java source.

    I would be most grateful if someone would, in the first instance, simply
    attempt to try running the class files to see if they run.

    I have placed both the source and class files in a zip file on my
    webspace. In an effort to make it easier I have also uploaded the files
    in .tar.gz format.

    http://homepages.lobstermail.co.uk/longusername/Lab6.zip
    http://homepages.lobstermail.co.uk/longusername/Lab6.tar.gz

    To run the program, extract all the files into a single directory and
    issue the following command from that directory.

    java Lab6 numbers.txt

    You can get an idea of what it should look like from the screenshot in
    Lab6.gif.

    Many thanks for your patience.

    best, doofus
    doofus, Oct 24, 2003

  2. In article <bn9r99$urlht$-berlin.de>, doofus wrote:
    > Greetings All!
    >
    > I am a relative newcomer to this group and I very much hope this request
    > is not out of place. If so, please do not hesitate to let me know.
    >
    > I wonder whether there would be amongst you a unix or linux user kind
    > enough to try running my code. Right now, I only have access to Windows
    > 2000, on which it runs perfectly well. I am told it gives the error
    > 'cannot resolve symbol "outputarea"' on unix. This I find puzzling
    > because the precise symbol "outputarea" does not occur anywhere in my
    > java source.

    He's perhaps using an old java version ?
    > I would be most grateful if someone would, in the first instance, simply
    > attempt to try running the class files to see if they run.
    >
    > I have placed both the source and class files in a zip file on my
    > webspace. In an effort to make it easier I have also uploaded the files
    > in .tar.gz format.
    >
    > http://homepages.lobstermail.co.uk/longusername/Lab6.zip
    > http://homepages.lobstermail.co.uk/longusername/Lab6.tar.gz
    >
    > To run the program, extract all the files into a single directory and
    > issue the following command from that directory.
    >
    > java Lab6 numbers.txt
    >
    > You can get an idea of what it should look like from the screenshot in
    > Lab6.gif.
    > best, doofus

    seems to run Ok here, RedHat Linux 8.0
    The image doesn't look quite the same, see here:
    http://utelsystems.dyndns.org/screenshot.jpg

    I tested with
    [noselasd@nos-rh tmp]$ java -version
    java version "1.3.1"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build Blackdown-1.3.1-02b-FCS)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build Blackdown-1.3.1_02b-FCS, mixed mode)

    and

    [noselasd@nos-rh tmp]$ /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_01/bin/java -version
    java version "1.4.2_01"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_01-b06)

    Vennlig hilsen/Best Regards
    Nils Olav Selåsdal <NOS at Utel.no>
    System Engineer
    UtelSystems a/s
    Nils O. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sel=E5sdal?=, Oct 24, 2003

  3. > In article <bn9r99$urlht$-berlin.de>, doofus wrote:
    >> Greetings All!
    >>
    >> I am a relative newcomer to this group and I very much hope this request
    >>
    >> You can get an idea of what it should look like from the screenshot in
    >> Lab6.gif.
    >> best, doofus

    > seems to run Ok here, RedHat Linux 8.0
    > The image doesn't look quite the same, see here:
    > http://utelsystems.dyndns.org/screenshot.jpg

    Oh, didn't notice the little slider. Adjusting it, it's
    the same as your gif image ;)

    Nils O. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sel=E5sdal?=, Oct 24, 2003
  4. doofus

    doofus Guest

    Greetings Nils!

    Nils O. Selåsdal wrote:
    > In article <bn9r99$urlht$-berlin.de>, doofus
    > wrote:

    > seems to run Ok here, RedHat Linux 8.0
    > The image doesn't look quite the same, see here:
    > http://utelsystems.dyndns.org/screenshot.jpg
    >
    > I tested with
    > [noselasd@nos-rh tmp]$ java -version
    > java version "1.3.1"
    > Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build Blackdown-
    > 1.3.1-02b-FCS) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build Blackdown-1.3.1_02b-
    > FCS, mixed mode)
    >
    > and
    >
    > [noselasd@nos-rh tmp]$ /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_01/bin/java -version
    > java version "1.4.2_01"
    > Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_01-b06)
    > Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_01-b06, mixed mode)

    I am most grateful to you for going to all that trouble. Your screenshot
    provides me with the concrete proof I need that this program does run
    outside of Windows and the details you provide on the *two* java
    versions in which you tested are most helpful.

    You have greatly narrowed the field on what might be causing the
    problem.

    I look forward to being able to return the favor some day.

    Many thanks.

    --
    Kindest regards, doofus
    doofus, Oct 24, 2003