Problems tracking NoClassDefFoundError from Web Service

Discussion in 'Java' started by earendil@merseymail.com, Sep 18, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi

    I am encountering a NoClassDefFoundError and I'm struggling to trace
    the cause.

    The scenario is as follows:
    ClassA (an Axis/web service SOAPBindingImpl class) Instantiates ClassB
    which turn invokes a getInstance() method on ClassC (a singleton).
    getInstance() calls a protected ClassC constructor which attempts to
    parse and xml file via JaxME2.

    However, at the point of invoking ClassC.getInsance(), ClassB traps a
    NoClassDefFoundError with the offending class is
    javax.xml.bind.JAXBException. The jar for this class is JaxMe2
    jaxmeapi-0.5.2.jar file and is included on the classpath for the
    project.

    I am using Websphere Studio 5.1.1 and attempted to step through the
    code in debug mode. However I cannot step 'in' to ClassC.getInstance()
    at all: the exception is thrown immediately and I dont know why.
    ClassC appears to be the offendor but I cannot step into the code and
    therefore cannot see which is the offending JAXME call that is causing
    the problem! Consequently I really have no idea why this exception is
    being thrown at all as, up to that point, nothing in the JaxMe suite
    has been executed as far as I can see. (ClassC.geTInstance has a ctach
    block defined to (amongst other things) trap NoClassDefFoundError but
    to no avail)

    Is there something obvious I am overlooking here?

    Any pointers gratefully received. Many thanks.

    , Sep 18, 2007

  2. Roedy Green Guest

    Roedy Green, Sep 18, 2007