Problems tracking NoClassDefFoundError from Web Service

earendil

Hi

I am encountering a NoClassDefFoundError and I'm struggling to trace
the cause.

The scenario is as follows:
ClassA (an Axis/web service SOAPBindingImpl class) Instantiates ClassB
which turn invokes a getInstance() method on ClassC (a singleton).
getInstance() calls a protected ClassC constructor which attempts to
parse and xml file via JaxME2.

However, at the point of invoking ClassC.getInsance(), ClassB traps a
NoClassDefFoundError with the offending class is
javax.xml.bind.JAXBException. The jar for this class is JaxMe2
jaxmeapi-0.5.2.jar file and is included on the classpath for the
project.

I am using Websphere Studio 5.1.1 and attempted to step through the
code in debug mode. However I cannot step 'in' to ClassC.getInstance()
at all: the exception is thrown immediately and I dont know why.
ClassC appears to be the offendor but I cannot step into the code and
therefore cannot see which is the offending JAXME call that is causing
the problem! Consequently I really have no idea why this exception is
being thrown at all as, up to that point, nothing in the JaxMe suite
has been executed as far as I can see. (ClassC.geTInstance has a ctach
block defined to (amongst other things) trap NoClassDefFoundError but
to no avail)

Is there something obvious I am overlooking here?

Any pointers gratefully received. Many thanks.