Problems uploading to server

Chris Kennedy

I am having problems uploading web apps to our local server. Can anyone shed
any light on the explanation I have been given by one of our techies. You
have recreate the virtual and add server extensions and make sure the
underlying physical name is no longer than 8 characters?!!!? I smacks of
some kind of hare-brained workaround. Does anyone know where this is coming
from. If I try to upload to a domain via VS it won't let me and if I
physically create a virtual and copy the files over to the server. I just
get a runtime error (see below) Changing the web config doesn't do anything.

Runtime Error
error settings for this application prevent the details of the application
error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however,
be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable
on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config"
configuration file located in the root directory of the current web
application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute
set to "Off".

Chris Kennedy

Changing the web config doesn't work???!!! Help.

Reza Solouki said:
Chris,

Just from reading the error, looks like you need to modify your web.config.
set it like this and try it again:
<customErrors mode="Off" />
hth,
Reza