Problems using em in dreamweaver 2004 mx

Discussion in 'HTML' started by cluthz, Apr 4, 2007.

  1. cluthz

    cluthz Guest

    Further to earlier postings I'm trying to make a new website I'm doing as
    standards conforming as possible.

    However, I seem to be having many problems using the em measurement.

    The first annoyance in dreamweaver and using em's is that I can no longer
    free place my CSS layers like I can using pixels. I have to type in the
    values which when trying to design layout visually is a bit annoying.

    Secondly it just does not seem to take a lot of things into account. For
    example, I expand the width of a layer from 5em's to 7em's and it does not
    make any different.

    I do not have an example to show yet, but before I do I thought I would just
    see if others know if Dreamweaver it geared up towards supporting em's
    effectively. It seems to make things easier to control if you stick to
    pixels?

    Any thoughts?

    PS: I have read that the latest version of Dreamwever (8) is very unstable
    and resource hungry. This has put me off upgrading but perhaps it handles
    these aspects better.

    Thanks in advance.
    cluthz, Apr 4, 2007

  2. cluthz wrote:
    > Further to earlier postings I'm trying to make a new website I'm doing as
    > standards conforming as possible.
    >
    > However, I seem to be having many problems using the em measurement.
    >
    > The first annoyance in dreamweaver and using em's is that I can no longer
    > free place my CSS layers like I can using pixels. I have to type in the
    > values which when trying to design layout visually is a bit annoying.

    That must be DW shortcoming.

    > Secondly it just does not seem to take a lot of things into account. For
    > example, I expand the width of a layer from 5em's to 7em's and it does not
    > make any different.

    It does in with webpage, if not in DW preview then again its DW problem.

    > I do not have an example to show yet,

    This has got to be the *most absolutely lamest and overused* excuse in
    the NG. Of course you can make a small demo example! If you are building
    a website you have hosting, right? If not, you're going to have to get
    some. There is also free hosting you could get for examples...

    > but before I do I thought I would just
    > see if others know if Dreamweaver it geared up towards supporting em's
    > effectively. It seems to make things easier to control if you stick to
    > pixels?

    Not if your user changes the font size where will pixels get you, eh?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 4, 2007

  3. cluthz

    andrew Guest

    On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 17:33:44 GMT
    "cluthz" <> wrote:

    [...]
    I have read that the latest version of Dreamwever (8) is very
    > unstable and resource hungry. This has put me off upgrading but
    > perhaps it handles these aspects better.

    [...]

    I used Dreamweaver 8 extensively on Windows XP and my father uses it
    on Mac and there has been no sign of instability at all. As for
    resources, it is a big program but once loaded it runs well on
    'reasonable' hardware.

    Wait a while though, a new version is coming out soon :CS3 I think, or
    even better try some of the programs that are in fact totally free :)

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/
    andrew, Apr 4, 2007
  4. cluthz

    Bergamot Guest

    cluthz wrote:

    > The first annoyance in dreamweaver and using em's is that I can no longer
    > free place my CSS layers like I can using pixels.

    Actually, that is a *good* thing. Absolutely positioning "layers" in DW
    is a scurge of the web. Don't do it, especially with text blocks.

    > I have to type in the
    > values which when trying to design layout visually is a bit annoying.

    So stop using the design layout. ;)

    > Secondly it just does not seem to take a lot of things into account. For
    > example, I expand the width of a layer from 5em's to 7em's and it does not
    > make any different.

    Why don't you view the result in a real browser instead?

    > see if others know if Dreamweaver it geared up towards supporting em's
    > effectively.

    "Supporting ems" has nothing to do with DW. It is a tool that you should
    be managing, but it sounds like you are letting it manage you instead.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Apr 5, 2007
  5. cluthz

    cluthz Guest

    > Wait a while though, a new version is coming out soon :CS3 I think, or
    > even better try some of the programs that are in fact totally free :)

    As generally a fan of dreamweaver, I very much look forward to a version 9.
    any news on when. Hopefully this will bridge the gap between excellent
    usability and better practise in helping to conform to standards.

    I will use this as a catalyst to buy a new laptop so any news on when being
    released?
    cluthz, Apr 5, 2007
  6. cluthz

    cluthz Guest

    thanks for all the input.

    One thing I am particularly noticing is now that I have moved to relative
    position tags, I do not seem to be able to get it to be relaitve to the body
    or some fixed point on the page. Each item seems to be relaitve to the item
    before it.

    I will continue to experiment, but though I would mention this.

    Is it there a simple way to get everythign relative to the same position?
    cluthz, Apr 5, 2007
  7. cluthz

    Bergamot Guest

    cluthz wrote:

    > One thing I am particularly noticing is now that I have moved to relative
    > position tags, I do not seem to be able to get it to be relaitve to the body
    > or some fixed point on the page.

    Probably because you don't fully understand how CSS positioning methods
    are *supposed* to work. You'll be lost until then, but you'll still need
    to learn how to use them wisely. In the meantime, you should avoid
    positioning altogether. Keep it simple is your best bet.

    A decent tutorial is at
    http://brainjar.com/css/positioning/
    Then read the specs at
    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Apr 5, 2007
  8. cluthz

    andrew Guest

    On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 00:22:09 GMT
    "cluthz" <> wrote:

    > > Wait a while though, a new version is coming out soon :CS3 I think,
    > > or even better try some of the programs that are in fact totally
    > > free :)

    [...]
    > I will use this as a catalyst to buy a new laptop so any news on when
    > being released?

    I am not sure on the eaxt date but adobe have some info:

    http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/features/

    HTH

    Andrew

    andrew, Apr 5, 2007