problems using graphviz perl module from apache (windows)

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Sergio, Mar 4, 2005.

  1. Sergio

    Sergio Guest

    I'm writing a cgi script that uses graphviz (the dot program) to
    generate a graph and I'm banging my head against the wall trying to get
    it to work properly. Currently, if I run the script directly from the
    command line, it will work properly and generate my graph (which gets
    dumped into a file). If I invoke the script as a cgi script within
    apache, it runs fine until it calls the as_png() function, at which
    point it will die waiting for a result (the destination file is created
    but is empty).

    I'm running SERVER_SOFTWARE="Apache/2.0.52 (Win32)"
    and version 1.8 of the GraphViz module. If I run a printenv.cgi, I get
    the following path:

    PATH="C:\Program Files\Perl\bin\;C:\Program Files\Reflection;C:\PROGRAM
    FILES\THINKPAD\UTILITIES; C:\Program
    Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\bin;C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT\System32\Wbem;C:\Oracle\ora81\bin;C:\Program
    Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.7\bin;C:\ISIS;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MDL
    Shared\ISIS;C:\PROGRA~1\ATT\Graphviz\bin;C:\PROGRA~1\ATT\Graphviz\bin\tools"

    which does seem to have the correct path settings for dot.exe.

    The error that the apache log gives me is: Premature end of script
    headers: simplegraph.pl

    If I remove the line that calls as_png(), the script runs fine.

    Any assistance would be most appreciated. I've searched usenet but to
    no avail...

    Thanks!

    Sergio.
    Sergio, Mar 4, 2005

  2. Sergio

    Sergio Guest

    Another piece of the puzzle: The CGI script *does* seem to be
    correctly invoking the dot.exe program. However, dot.exe is running
    forever and never comes back, which is why the cgi script remains
    seemingly hung... I notice that graphviz.pm calls dot.exe using a
    "run" command. I'm not familiar with it... Any hints?

    Sergio.
    Sergio, Mar 7, 2005