Problems using InstallUtil

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rob Meade, Apr 24, 2004.

  1. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    Hi all,

    I've just followed an article regarding the creation of a windows service -
    so far so good - right up until I try to do the install...

    I get the following error message in the command prompt:

    Exception occurred while initializing the installation:
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File or assembly name Documents, or one of
    its
    dependencies, was not found..

    The following is what I'm trying to run from the command prompt:

    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322>installutil C:\Documents and
    Settin
    gs\MeadeR\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\ScanFolder\bin\ScanFolder.exe

    Initially I had problems with the installutil thing saying it was a
    recognised something or other, then it occured to me that I was trying to
    run that from any old directory - hence changing the path to where it lives
    in the Microsoft.Net directory.

    Can anyone help me with this - I really want to know if the example I've
    just been working on is going to work :)

    Regards

    Rob

    Rob Meade, Apr 24, 2004

  2. Rob Meade

    Chris Botha Guest

    Put quotes around the path, thus
    installutil "C:\Documents and Settings\ ......"
    and give it a shot.

    Chris Botha, Apr 25, 2004

  3. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    "Chris Botha" wrote ...

    > Put quotes around the path, thus
    > installutil "C:\Documents and Settings\ ......"
    > and give it a shot.

    Hi Chris,

    Thanks for the reply, I got it working in the end by copying me .exe into
    the microsoft.net folder etc and running from there - I'll give your idea a
    go on the next build...cheers :eek:)

    Rob

    Rob Meade, Apr 25, 2004
  4. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    Worked a treat

    As above Chris - many thanks (although I did have to change the permissions
    on my directory to get the service to start etc)..

    Thanks again

    Rob

    Rob Meade, Apr 25, 2004