Problems using InstallUtil

Rob Meade

Hi all,

I've just followed an article regarding the creation of a windows service -
so far so good - right up until I try to do the install...

I get the following error message in the command prompt:

Exception occurred while initializing the installation:
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File or assembly name Documents, or one of
its
dependencies, was not found..

The following is what I'm trying to run from the command prompt:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322>installutil C:\Documents and
Settin
gs\MeadeR\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\ScanFolder\bin\ScanFolder.exe

Initially I had problems with the installutil thing saying it was a
recognised something or other, then it occured to me that I was trying to
run that from any old directory - hence changing the path to where it lives
in the Microsoft.Net directory.

Can anyone help me with this - I really want to know if the example I've
just been working on is going to work :)

Regards

Rob

Chris Botha

Put quotes around the path, thus
installutil "C:\Documents and Settings\ ......"
and give it a shot.

Rob Meade

Put quotes around the path, thus
installutil "C:\Documents and Settings\ ......"
and give it a shot.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply, I got it working in the end by copying me .exe into
the microsoft.net folder etc and running from there - I'll give your idea a
go on the next build...cheers :eek:)

Rob

Rob Meade

As above Chris - many thanks (although I did have to change the permissions
on my directory to get the service to start etc)..

Thanks again

Rob