Problems when joining a domain

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Paul, Jul 21, 2004.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    OK - here's the situation.
    We have a Win 2K Server running IIS and MSSQL with the .NET 1.1
    framework.
    Everything works just fine when the machine is not a member of a
    domain.
    Everything works just fine when we join the server to our test domain.
    However, when we join the machine to our production domain we get the
    following error:

    aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
    80070545. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
    insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure
    that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on
    the installation directory allow access to the configured account.

    I've been through the solution outlined in KB article 315158
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315158

    While interesting - I don't think this applies because the framework
    is not installed on either or the Active Directory machines.

    Could there be something in a group policy that is causing this
    behavior?

    thanks,
    -paul

    Paul, Jul 21, 2004

  2. Paul

    Shaun Guest

    I had a similar problem a short time back and found I needed to changed the ACLs for the framework files etc for the domain account used for the process. Here's the batch file content I used (change domain and user as required), hope it helps ...

    cacls "C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET" /T /E /C /P domain\user:R

    cacls "C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files" /T /E /C /P domain\user:C

    cacls "C:\WINNT\temp" /T /E /C /P domain\user:C

    cacls "C:\inetpub\wwwroot" /T /E /C /P domain\user:R

    cacls "e:\" /T /E /C /P domain\user:R

    cacls "C:\WINNT\assembly" /T /E /C /P domain\user:R

    Shaun Venus

    emailid: sunevnuahs
    domain: hotmail.com

    Shaun, Jul 22, 2004