Problems! WinNT Client -> WinXP Web Server -> Win2000 File Server

Fabricio Sperandio

Hi everyone,

I have an WinXP Server and an ASP.NET application that access files in a
third machine, Win2000 Server. I am using Windows authentication,
impersonating the user and it works fine when the client is WinXP as well.
But it doesn't works when the client is a NT machine.

I previously had a problem in accessing this files on the server but i
solved turned on the delegation for the Web server machine.

But now, with the NT client it seems I am having the same problem I had
before, without the delegation settings.

Help me.

Thank you very much,

Fabrício

Ken Schaefer

Windows NT does not support Kerberos Authentication by default. Only
Kerberos is delegatable. Windows NT will use NTLM v2 by default, which you
can't delegate in a Windows 2000 environment.

If you have Windows 2003 Domain, then there is something call Protocol
Transition, which means that the client can authenticate to the webserver
using NTLM v2, or Digest etc, and IIS can get a Kerberos ticket to contact
the remote server. But this is not possible in a Windows 2000 environment.

Cheers
Ken

: Hi everyone,
: