Problems wit Databinding to a DropDown box

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Kris Rockwell, Apr 4, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    I have done the following to bind data to a DropDown box:

    1. Drag SQLServer table onto web form to create data connection and data
    adapter.

    2. Generate dataset by right-clicking on the data adapter ad selecting
    generate dataset.

    3. Setting the drop down box propertied to reflect so that:

    Datasource = Dataset11
    Datamember = table
    Datatextfield = tablerow
    Datavaluefield = tablerow

    When I run the application I don't generate any errors, but no data is
    present in the DropDown box...Well, actually I get a drop down that is
    blank.

    Any ideas an what Imay be doing wrong?

    Also, if I code the information, can I put it in the CodeBehind file or does
    it have to be in the actual ASPX?

    Thanks in advance,
    Kris

    Kris Rockwell, Apr 4, 2004

  2. Kris Rockwell

    Scott M. Guest

    Did you call the .DataBind method of the DropDown box?

    "Kris Rockwell" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Scott M., Apr 5, 2004

  3. I haven't explicitly called it in the code, but I have set it in the
    Property page of the DropDown Box.

    I did try it though and still got no results. It is strange, though...The
    box seems populated in that I can drop it down, but there is no content as
    there should be.

    Kris

    "Scott M." <> wrote in message
    > Did you call the .DataBind method of the DropDown box?
    >

    > "Kris Rockwell" <> wrote

    in

    Kris Rockwell, Apr 5, 2004
  4. Kris Rockwell

    Scott M. Guest

    You can't call the DataBind method (or any method of any object for that
    matter) via the design-time property box. It must be called from code. The
    fact that the box drops down with noting in it is what all drop down boxes
    that don't have data in them do.

    Let's see your entire Page_Load event handler.

    "Kris Rockwell" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > I haven't explicitly called it in the code, but I have set it in the
    > Property page of the DropDown Box.
    >
    > I did try it though and still got no results. It is strange, though...The
    > box seems populated in that I can drop it down, but there is no content as
    > there should be.
    >
    > Kris
    >

    > "Scott M." <> wrote in message
    > > Did you call the .DataBind method of the DropDown box?
    > >

    > > "Kris Rockwell" <>

    wrote

    Scott M., Apr 5, 2004
  5. Here is the code:

    Sub Page_Load
    cbACType.DataBind()
    End Sub

    The database connection information is in my CodeBehind vb file.

    Regards,
    Kris
    "Scott M." <> wrote in message
    > You can't call the DataBind method (or any method of any object for that
    > matter) via the design-time property box. It must be called from code.

    The
    > fact that the box drops down with noting in it is what all drop down boxes
    > that don't have data in them do.
    >
    > Let's see your entire Page_Load event handler.
    >

    > "Kris Rockwell" <> wrote

    in

    Kris Rockwell, Apr 5, 2004
  6. Kris Rockwell

    Scott M. Guest

    Can we have the db connection code as well?

    By the way, only call the DataBind method on the first page call (ViewState
    will take care of keeping the dropdown list populated after that. So, your
    page_load code should be:

    Sub Page_Load
    If Not IsPostBack Then
    cbACType.DataBind()
    End If
    End Sub

    "Kris Rockwell" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Here is the code:
    >
    > Sub Page_Load
    > cbACType.DataBind()
    > End Sub
    >
    > The database connection information is in my CodeBehind vb file.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Kris
    > "Scott M." <> wrote in message
    > > You can't call the DataBind method (or any method of any object for that
    > > matter) via the design-time property box. It must be called from code.

    > The
    > > fact that the box drops down with noting in it is what all drop down

    boxes
    > > that don't have data in them do.
    > >
    > > Let's see your entire Page_Load event handler.
    > >

    > > "Kris Rockwell" <>

    wrote

    Scott M., Apr 5, 2004
  7. Well, I have kep the DB connection in the code behind page in an effort to
    keep it seperate (and thus away from the eyes of curious users) from the
    ASPX. In testing different methods I have deleted from the VB code at the
    moment,so I will have to write it back in before I post the code. Couldn't I
    use the Connection and DataAdapter objects within .NET for this?

    Kris

    "Scott M." <> wrote in message
    > Can we have the db connection code as well?
    >
    > By the way, only call the DataBind method on the first page call

    (ViewState
    > will take care of keeping the dropdown list populated after that. So,

    your
    > page_load code should be:
    >
    > Sub Page_Load
    > If Not IsPostBack Then
    > cbACType.DataBind()
    > End If
    > End Sub
    >

    > "Kris Rockwell" <> wrote

    in
    > message news:...
    > > Here is the code:
    > >
    > > Sub Page_Load
    > > cbACType.DataBind()
    > > End Sub
    > >
    > > The database connection information is in my CodeBehind vb file.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Kris
    > > "Scott M." <> wrote in message
    > > > You can't call the DataBind method (or any method of any object for

    that
    > > > matter) via the design-time property box. It must be called from

    code.
    > > The
    > > > fact that the box drops down with noting in it is what all drop down

    > boxes
    > > > that don't have data in them do.
    > > >
    > > > Let's see your entire Page_Load event handler.
    > > >

    > > > "Kris Rockwell" <>

    > wrote
    > > in
    > > > message news:...

    > > though...The

    > content
    > > as

    <>

    Kris Rockwell, Apr 5, 2004
  8. Kris Rockwell

    Scott M. Guest

    Kris,

    All of your compiled code goes in the code-behind. That is what it is there
    for. Even if you use the Visual DataAdapter and Connection controls, you
    are still working with code in the code-behind. When you use those
    controls, code is written for you in the code-behind, instead of you
    declaring and configuring the classes yourself.

    Regardless of whether or not you use the controls or write the code
    yourself, we need to see your code in order to help you solve your problem.

    Since all it really takes to get the DropDownList control working is to set
    its DataSource and DataField properties and then to call its DataBind method
    on the first page call (and you seem to have done that), we can assume that:

    either your database connection is not setup correctly or
    you are connecting to the db, but not retuning any data

    We won't know until you provide us with everything you have.

    "Kris Rockwell" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Well, I have kep the DB connection in the code behind page in an effort to
    > keep it seperate (and thus away from the eyes of curious users) from the
    > ASPX. In testing different methods I have deleted from the VB code at the
    > moment,so I will have to write it back in before I post the code. Couldn't

    > use the Connection and DataAdapter objects within .NET for this?
    >
    > Kris
    >

    > "Scott M." <> wrote in message
    > > Can we have the db connection code as well?
    > >
    > > By the way, only call the DataBind method on the first page call

    > (ViewState
    > > will take care of keeping the dropdown list populated after that. So,

    > your
    > > page_load code should be:
    > >
    > > Sub Page_Load
    > > If Not IsPostBack Then
    > > cbACType.DataBind()
    > > End If
    > > End Sub
    > >

    > > "Kris Rockwell" <>

    wrote

    Scott M., Apr 5, 2004
  9. OK...I got it.

    I created a SQLConnection, DataAdapter and Dataset. In the Page load I had
    to call the DataBin() and fill the dataset. That was the problem, the
    Dataset wasn't being filled.

    Thanks for all of your help.

    Regards,
    Kris
    "Scott M." <> wrote in message
    > Kris,
    >
    > All of your compiled code goes in the code-behind. That is what it is

    there
    > for. Even if you use the Visual DataAdapter and Connection controls, you
    > are still working with code in the code-behind. When you use those
    > controls, code is written for you in the code-behind, instead of you
    > declaring and configuring the classes yourself.
    >
    > Regardless of whether or not you use the controls or write the code
    > yourself, we need to see your code in order to help you solve your

    problem.

    > Since all it really takes to get the DropDownList control working is to

    set
    > its DataSource and DataField properties and then to call its DataBind

    method
    > on the first page call (and you seem to have done that), we can assume

    that:

    > either your database connection is not setup correctly or
    > you are connecting to the db, but not retuning any data
    >
    > We won't know until you provide us with everything you have.
    >

    > "Kris Rockwell" <> wrote

    in
    > message news:...
    > > Well, I have kep the DB connection in the code behind page in an effort

    > > keep it seperate (and thus away from the eyes of curious users) from the
    > > ASPX. In testing different methods I have deleted from the VB code at

    the
    > > moment,so I will have to write it back in before I post the code.

    Couldn't
    > > use the Connection and DataAdapter objects within .NET for this?
    > >
    > > Kris
    > >

    > > "Scott M." <> wrote in message
    > > > Can we have the db connection code as well?
    > > >
    > > > By the way, only call the DataBind method on the first page call

    > > (ViewState
    > > > will take care of keeping the dropdown list populated after that. So,

    > > your
    > > > page_load code should be:
    > > >
    > > > Sub Page_Load
    > > > If Not IsPostBack Then